Bret Hicks

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

Joe,

Along with everyone else, I extend my thanks to you for the great work you have done.

As a new user of the services, I was wondering if it is possible to have the query script insert the verses in a different format. Specifically, I am wondering if there is a way to have it put the verse reference in a different location. Is that a function of how Accordance handles verse references for exports? Is there a way to set it in Accordance (or somewhere else) so that the full reference is given after the verses, rather than an abbreviated verse reference before the verses?

In Christ,

Bret Hicks

#22 twbeining

twbeining

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, iMac, MacBook Pro, & iPad Mini
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Joe,

Thank you so much for these tools. This will make my working with Accordance even better than it already is! I love this program and the addition of these tools makes it even better. Thanks again.

Tim

#23 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,328 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Surgeon

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hi Bret,
to do what you want in Accordance, I would recommend using "copy as citation". I am not sure how this works with Joe's scripts.

e.g. 'Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυὶδ υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ.' (Matthew 1:1 GNT-T)

You can set how this works in the accordance preferences.

Attached File  088AD28E-D38E-41E0-B0DA-185A388EC356.png   254.31KB   8 downloads

Edited by Ken Simpson, 06 October 2012 - 11:01 PM.

Regards
Ken
Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#24 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

Ken is on target. My scripts can do a normal copy, or a copy as citation. (this is just like the Accordance Widget, too)
So, you can alter your copy as citation format just as Ken has mentioned, and that's what will be used (as long as the Service or Script is set to copyAsCitation).

Joe
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#25 Bret Hicks

Bret Hicks

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

Ken and Joe,

I understand the difference between copy and copy as citation, and have the proper settings in copy as citation. How do I make the service use the copy as citation instead of normal copy function? When I do the "Insert Query Verses" it just asks for which verse(se) I want - not whether I want copy of copy as citation. How do I choose copy as citation?

In Christ,

Bret

#26 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Bret,
Did you ask the same question in a comment on my blog? I will post below the reply I gave there. But basically, you need to read the Services ReadMe file included in the Accordance Services folder. But, also, I wrote a new Query Service for you that by default uses Citation, but allows you to do verses as well. You can download it here. Just replace your old Insert Query Verses 1st in the ~/Library/Services/ folder.

Yes, you have complete control over the format that is used. If you read the ReadMe file that comes with the Accordance Services folder, you will see instructions on how to customize a Service. I hope to post a video tutorial demonstrating this as well.

When you double-click a Service that's inside the ~/Library/Services/ folder, it will open in Automator and you will see several Property settings you can adjust. Read the ReadMe documentation and you can adjust what you want.
Basically, what you're seeing is that for the Insert Query Verses 1st Service, the Property copyAsCitation is set to false, while it's set to true for Insert Verses 1st.
If you set it to true, you can then go to Accordance and customize in the preferences the format for copying as citation.

Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

#27 Bret Hicks

Bret Hicks

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

Joe,

I did not ask the person on your blog - it must have been someone else. But I am a bit embarrassed that the answer is in the read me file. As a man of the Book (and a former computer programmer to boot) I should have known to look there. I guess my typical "I'm a man... Directions - we don't need no stinking directions" overwhelmed common sense :)

Thanks for the reply - and again thanks for all of this work. It is really appreciated!

In Christ,

Bret

#28 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

Bret,
No prob. I think the ReadMe is pretty explanatory. I still would like to do a video demoing that you can pretty much make a Service do nearly anything you can dream up.
Joe
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

#29 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Joe:

You may want to fix a slight design bug. On a null return of search for verse, the display dialog is behind whatever application is front most. I believe this can be remedied by wrapping the error within a tell Finder block to make Finder Front.

#30 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

James,
Thanks for the interaction. The design bug is in Accordance. When Accordance receives a bad parameter in an Apple event call, such as this:

tell application "Accordance" to «event AccdTxRf» {"NRSVS", "BadReference 1:1", true}

Accordance brings up a modal dialog box saying something like:

The book "BadReference" cannot be found.

Or if the module name is wrong:

The text "NRSvoops" is not currently available to Accordance.

The dialog box is in the background because it belongs to Accordance; notice how Accordance comes to the front when you bring the dialog box to the front. I have no control over this behavior. This is not the proper way to code the situation. An app should never respond to a silent Apple event call with a modal GUI dialog box like this.
And what is worse, Accordance returns no result (nil or "" or a text string error message). This is what causes a second error dialog box displaying a type -1 script error. But, on the bright side, Accordance no longer crashes; that bug was fixed in the latest update.

I can trap for the second error dialog, but that is pointless since it doesn't fix the problem, and should never happen in the first place.

Edited by Joe Weaks, 10 October 2012 - 10:49 PM.

Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

#31 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for looking into it, Joe. I was in a hurry yesterday to get a chart made contrasting MT/DSS(Mur88)/LXX(Gött) Amos 9:11-12 with /NA27 Acts 15:16-17, and didn't recognize that Accordance was holding the error, or rather not returning a null for you to warn the user of a unsuccessful event. Thanks for the script! It's saving me some precious time for my essay on 1Sam 17:1f.

#32 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for being helpful, either way, James. You can see the same problematic behavior with the official widget. Search for a bad text reference there as well and Accordance app gets a persistent error dialog box. I hope they consider changing this behavior.

I'm glad you're finding the Script Library useful. I'm delighted to see how many downloads so far.
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

#33 Bret Hicks

Bret Hicks

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Joe,

I have loved using your scripts and have them set up the way I like on my old Mac. I am transferring over to a new Mac. Is there a way to copy over the Scripts and settings (hot keys and such) from the old Mac to the new one? Or do I have to reinstall and redo the hot key setup and such?

Once again, thanks for your work on this. I can't imagine doing my weekly work without it!

In Christ,

Bret Hicks

#34 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Is there a way to copy over the Scripts and settings (hot keys and such) from the old Mac to the new one? Or do I have to reinstall and redo the hot key setup and such?

Bret,
I actually don't know if custom hot-key assignments you've made to Services will transfer in migration assistant. My guess is no.
The Services themselves should transfer, though.

If you're doing a manual transfer to the new computer, then there is probably a plist pref file that stores the keyboard assignments, but I wouldn't recommend trying to transfer it.
Before you decommission the old mac, take a screen shot of the keyboard assignments so you have a reference to work off of.

Gratz on the new Mac, and glad you find the Accordance Services so helpful. I think they are too; not sure why any Accordance user would NOT use them. :)
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

#35 Bret Hicks

Bret Hicks

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Joe,

Unfortunately, migration assistant was almost a total bust on the transfer. As was Time Machine - but that is another (frustrating) story. So it has been manual. I guess I will just have to re-run the scripts and hen set things up again.

I am glad to have a newer MacBook Pro (late 2011), and look forward to really using it after I get everything set up properly.

In Christ,

Bret

#36 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Then, yes, a manual fresh setup will be most expeditious.
Just drag the Services you want into the ~/Library/Services/ folder and then go to System Preferences/Keyboard/Shortcuts tab to reassign the key shortcuts.
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

#37 arcanemuse

arcanemuse

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

I fought with this thing for hours... I had them in the right folders but nothing would work. There were nothing in preferences under services.. nothing. I didn't do a thing and there they were. No clue. I don't have a PhD in computer programming so I haven't a clue. I had all my texts in folders to organize them and that seemed to cause all the services not to work so I killed all my folders and then I tried looking a verse up and I got 52 windows in Evernote. No clue why but it was trying to add every single one of those services as a note. Took me forever to get all those windows closed. I've never even used services before on a Mac. Used it for 5 years now and the last year and a half as my only computer. Apparently they work some kind of automation voodoo that makes things go insane. Anybody ever have evernote explode like this? And there was some other program I installed on a trial 6 months ago and haven't figured out what arcane incantations will get it out of my system yet... Mac makes everything so hard to figure out. I think it was called papers. That came open too. I didn't alter anything. I opened up a script or two and looked in there and there was not a thing there I could make any sense of as I don't have a PhD in programming and have no idea what I am looking at. I am sure it is something I am doing. I'm almost afraid to remove the stuff I put in there as that might cause something else to stop working.
God Bless,
Rick

#38 Bret Hicks

Bret Hicks

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Arcanemuse,

I am not sure what the issue was for you. When I have followed Joe's instructions it works flawlessly - and does nothing to Evernote. I hope they can help you figure it out, because the services really improve exporting data and such.

In Christ,

Bret

#39 Tony Lawrence

Tony Lawrence

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Hosting Bible Land Tours, Expository Preaching, My granddaughter

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Arcanemuse,

As Bret said, if you follow Joe's instructions it should work. If you are still having trouble by the end of the week let me know and I will try to help you. We are visiting family out of town the first part of the week. Just send me a message me through the forum.

Tony Lawrence
biblelandphotos.org

#40 arcanemuse

arcanemuse

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

I'll do that, Tony. This dummy appreciates any help he can get. Thank you. I managed to get into one of the scripts with Text Wrangler and the part where it said NIV11 I changed to reflect NIV 84 with G/K. When I highlight a chapter and verse number and send it to Accordance, it opens up to that chapter and verse in the NIV 1984 with G/K just fine. It also still opens up 52 windows in Evernote still. I thought it might be my fault for changing that but when I use Accordance Verses ESVS just the way it is, it does the exact same thing. I guess I can't have Evernote on my system and use this? Papers is gone. I searched until my eyes quit and found an app that would make it go away forever. Inserting verses into the text works very well. I can see a handy use for that. Maybe I should just use what works and disable what doesn't.
God Bless,
Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users