Ketiv/Qere

Karyn Traphagen

Accordance displays Ketiv/Qere pairs differently than a hardcopy of BHS. In Accordance the Ketiv has different pointing than what is given in the text of BHS. In Accordance, the Qere is presented, helpfully, in brackets following the Ketiv, with the pointing that IS in the BHS text... rather than what is found in the printed BHS: the Ketiv having the pointing to be pronounced and the Qere being unpointed in the margin).

This can be confusing when we present the topic to new Hebrew students. Is there Accordance documentation that explains the different presentation (and perhaps who supplies the hypothetical pointing)?

Thank you.

Karyn

I can certainly understand why the presentation would be confusing to the new student. And AFAIK, there is no "don't vocalize the ketiv" display choice. I think you have an excellent feature request here.

As for who did the hypothetical reconstructions, why, we (at the Groves Center) did. :rolleyes: Actually, Prof. Groves did the first pass on them, and we have continued close examination and "correction" of the vocalizations of ketivs. Why vocalize the ketiv? Two reasons: (1) we wanted to give a lemma and parsing to the ketiv's and you can't do that without vocalizing it; I mean, sure we don't have to give a vocalization but the discipline of doing so forces us to pay attention to every detail. (2) the study of the ketiv/qere phenomenon is a neglected but important part of both the text critical as well as linguistic study of the Hebrew Bible and its transmission, and we want to offer the data to the user. There are places where I seriously wonder if the ketiv was the more likely original reading, rather than the qere!

In our files here I have notes that Prof Groves made for a future article on the ketiv/qere. Sadly, his premature death prevented him from completing that and many other projects...

For those who are wondering, The Groves Center provides the Hebrew Bible text and morphology used in Accordance.

Blessings,

Kirk

Archived