Search for words not followed by a word or phrase

R Gustason

How would I conduct such a search? For example, how would I conduct a search for Holy and list it only if it is not followed by Ghost or Spirit in the KJV?

How would I conduct such a search? For example, how would I conduct a search for Holy and list it only if it is not followed by Ghost or Spirit in the KJV?

there are probably a few ways, but how about this: holy <NOT> <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 1 WORDS> (Ghost, Spirit)

Ryan,

Rick's solution is most likely to be the most efficient solution to your question. However this is a great search to practice a construct search with. As you add more requirements to your search they can get hard to put in the search bar. Here is how to do a construct for your search. This may help you later when you need a more complicated search. I highly recommend that you get comfortable with this mode of searching.

First highlight the search bar in KJV.

post-29881-0-74999000-1351860547_thumb.png

Then open a new simple (since we are searching in english) construct. You can do this by pressing command and 1 at the same time. Or it is in the menu bar here.

post-29881-0-23794600-1351860649_thumb.png

Your construct should look like this.

post-29881-0-12069100-1351860721_thumb.png

Just drag and drop items where you need them and menus will pop up and help you with the rest.

There are some great tutorials on these as well to watch on the accordance site.

Hope this helps.