Searching for Greek cognates in LXX

justinj

I would like to perform a search that shows me the Greek word used to translate the Hebrew word Ger (‏גר) in the LXX for every instance of Ger or its forms in the Tanach, preferably along with the references. I can do a Hebrew search and just view the LXX in a second pane, but it is tedious to look through each verse to find which Greek word is used to translate it.

Is it possible to automate this?

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,

If this is something you do alot of, you'll want to look at the HMT/LXX modules that is a specialized (expensive) module the fits the bill nicely.

In the two-pane approach you've described, there is no way to automate the highlighting of translated word in the LXX.

At least there's just 90 something occurrences. It gets worse. :)

If you have the MT/LXX Parallel Database, you can run a search and Merge the results with the LXX. The resource can be found here:

http://www.accordancebible.com/modules/details.php?ID=173

The instructions for merging are in the Grammatical Supplement at section G6 that are provided with the help files as a pdf.

Hope this helps

John Fidel

Justin,

If this is something you do alot of, you'll want to look at the HMT/LXX modules that is a specialized (expensive) module the fits the bill nicely.

In the two-pane approach you've described, there is no way to automate the highlighting of translated word in the LXX.

At least there's just 90 something occurrences. It gets worse. :)

I own BHS-W4 and LXX modules. Is that enough?

Justin

I own BHS-W4 and LXX modules. Is that enough?

Justin

No, it's not. The BHS-W4 and LXX modules are grammatically tagged, but they aren't tagged in relationship to each other. Its the same with original language vs. English texts. I can view the BHS-W4 or the GNT in parallel with the NRSV, the NET, or the NIV, but searching for a Hebrew or a Greek word in the original language text won't highlight the English word or phrase used to translate it. The closest I can come there is to use an English text with key number tagging (say the KJVS or the NIV-G/K).

It sounds like an easy thing to do, but in reality it is quite complex, as there is never a one to one relationship between the original language text and the translation.

Lorinda

Correct, the MT/LXX is the only way to pull up the word for word parallels. You do not need the HMT-C, but you really do need the BHS-W4 in order to see the Hebrew text as a text, and see and search the grammatical tagging.

Archived