Word Bible Commentary set

mscargill

Accordance's sale offer for this set finishes today. It includes 58 volumes; not, of course, those commentaries not yet published but also not certain commentaries - just Judges? - that seem to have been published? Concurrent with this offer OliveTree are offering a "60 volume" WBC set which apparently does include the Judges commentary. Although the OliveTree offer will be of no interest for anyone wishing to use the set as part of (or with) their Accordance experience and tools, can someone please explain why the Accordance offer seems to be missing at least and possibly two volumes that are available through OliveTree? I see that Logos offer (at a much more expensive price) a "59 volume" WBC set which, however, also does not include Judges. Could OliveTree be wrong in offering Judges - I appreciate that is for me (and not Accordance) to check with them - or is it the case (this seems unlikely) that Accordance (and Logos), unlike OliveTree, do not have rights to the Judges volume?

I would also be interested for any users' views about the value of the WBC set. I am aware of criticism that it is not sufficiently loyal to its supposed (or claimed) evangelical outlook but that is not a problem for me. I already have (from Accordance) the AYB and Hermeneia set and am wondering whether to add the WBC to these sets before the attractive Accordance offer closes.

Thank you.

Michael

OliveTree has been bought by HarperRow Christian Publishing which now also owns Nelson and Zondervan. We have been trying for years to get the licenses and text of the newer volumes from Nelson, but with all the changes at the publishing houses, we still have not secured a license. We expect that to be sorted out in the near future so that we can offer our users all the published volumes. Users of the 58 volume set will, of course, have to pay for the additional volumes.

Hi Michael, there is another thread on this started by abram, I along with many others feel that all sets have strengths and weaknesses (see best commentaries site for reviews). But, having used several of the volumes in the past and been considering this for some time, I have decided now is the time as it's worth investing in. http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13122

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

As ukraser said, you'll see a lot of user input at that thread. But I think WBC is unique enough (even compared to Hermeneia and Anchor) that it would make a nice complement, if the budget permits, and if you'd make use enough of it to warrant the purchase.

Also, isn't most of Anchor OT transliterated when it quotes Hebrew? WBC is not, which is nice, I find.

Many thanks Helen, ukfraser and Abram K-J. I am sorry for not having dug deeper to check that this topic was already up and running (as I thought it might have been, as a result of the sale but failed to spot by just looking at the principal category headings on the Forum Topics list). I understand what you say Helen and I have found the existing conversation on this topic very helpful. I will read some more of it before making a decision to purchase (or not). Perhaps it would be very indulgent of me to buy a third commentary set; however, for additional generally renowned exegetical help in understanding and reading the Scriptures, I am certainly tempted at the attractive Accordance sale price. Best wishes and love in the Lord to all.

Michael

• Like 2

Michael: one other thing to note, if you're on the fence. I sold probably about $125 worth of print books--all the print volumes I had of WBC, in fact--to help offset the cost of WBC the last time it was on sale for just under $300. That made it feel more doable--so that's another angle for you to consider before the sale ends tonight.

• Like 1

So Helen, are you allowed to say if the WBC sale was a success? (As it seems to have generated so many threads)

I see it made it to the top of the recent sales list!

;o)

Yes, there's no question that WBC is in demand, and the sale price was very attractive.

The Eerdman's commentaries just went on sale, both sets, upgrades and individual volumes.