"Add Parallel" Texts & Reference Tools pane placement

Guntis

Every time I click on the "Add Parallel" > Texts or Reference Tools to add a new pane, it's placed at the bottom of the main Bible text pane, as the second row. Why? Screen is horizontal, and if you divide it horizontally, you get even less real estate for reading text. Why Accordance can't be so smart and place new panes in columns next to each other until it cannot place them that way anymore due to the minimum pane width, and only then place them in the second row?

Now, every time I add a new pane I have to move it up manually. I tried to assign at least a shortcut for moving it up in the System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts (⌥⌘U), but Accordance ignores it (although it appears in the menu!).

Please give me option to add new panes in parallel columns, at least in the form of a checkbox in the app's preferences (in the Workspace or Appearance sections).

Guntis, texts will be placed vertically, where you like them, automatically. Only reference tools and notes get put in the lower row, by default. But, if you hold the Option key when adding a new pane, it will default to vertically. So, I believe that will accomplish what you desire.

• Like 1

Oh, the power of the Option key! :-)

It's silent, invisible, but it's always there for those who know about it. I just forget about it too often…

Could you please check why my custom shortcut doesn't work?

How are you defining it? I believe it only works for defined menu bar menus, and this menu doesn't have a name.

System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Applications > add Accordance and type in "Move Up" and assign shortcut ⌥⌘U. But probably you're right, it's for the menu bar commands. But interestingly enough, this shortcut appears in the menu next to the Move Up command.

Edited by Guntis

• 6 months later...

I would love it if you would add an option in the preferences to allow reference tools (like commentaries) to be added to the pane next to the text rather than below it.

Guntis, texts will be placed vertically, where you like them, automatically. Only reference tools and notes get put in the lower row, by default. But, if you hold the Option key when adding a new pane, it will default to vertically. So, I believe that will accomplish what you desire.

Joel,

When I add a new pane using the "Add Parallel" button on the right side it does not put it on the right side, regardless of whether I press the option or command keys. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Dustin

Hi,

I tried the Control button on Windows. It still puts it at the bottom....

you have to press Control button before clicking "Add Parallel" :)

• 7 years later...

I'm having the opposite problem. When I "Add Parallel" > Reference Tools > Apparatus, it adds the BHS or BHQ apparatus as a column on the left, rather than at the bottom above instant details.  Did I turn off the default somehow?  I can't find this option in preferences.  I've tried holding down Ctrl but it doesn't change anything.

Thanks.