Syntax release roadmap

JonathanHuber

when an updated module is provided in mid-summer

This comment in another thread made me wonder how far ahead the syntax project has planned. Is there any information you can share with us regarding how soon the entire Greek or Hebrew syntax modules will be finished? As a followup question, have you thought much about where the project might go after this (like the septuagint?) and is there any chance that the syntax could eventually be linked to the key number english texts?

Thank you,

Jonathan

Jonathan:

Happy Easter! Robert is developing the Hebrew text, so I would take his word.

I am developing the Greek, and Matthew is approaching release, together with an updated edition of the other three Gospels. I have done a few other books, but I still need to revise them.

I think that the whole NT will be ready in about a year. It is difficult to say, because sometimes unexpected problems arise.

As for the LXX, I think it is too early to say. It is a huge text, even if it is extremely interesting.

Marco

This comment in another thread made me wonder how far ahead the syntax project has planned. Is there any information you can share with us regarding how soon the entire Greek or Hebrew syntax modules will be finished? As a followup question, have you thought much about where the project might go after this (like the septuagint?) and is there any chance that the syntax could eventually be linked to the key number english texts?

Thank you,

Jonathan

Jonathan,

The Accordance Hebrew (and biblical Aramaic) modules are the product of a research project that was planned from the beginning as a 3-4 yr project. We are finishing the 2nd year

Thank you both for the replies. I appreciate that this is a huge project and have found very useful the portions that are available so far. Well, the Greek anyway. I don't yet know Hebrew, which makes the Hebrew syntax much less useful to me. To that end, it would be wonderful if the syntax information could eventually be linked to the key number texts. Is that possible to do sometime down the road?

Thank you again for your efforts in the creation of these modules!

Blessings and Happy Easter,

Jonathan

Thank you both for the replies. I appreciate that this is a huge project and have found very useful the portions that are available so far. Well, the Greek anyway. I don't yet know Hebrew, which makes the Hebrew syntax much less useful to me. To that end, it would be wonderful if the syntax information could eventually be linked to the key number texts. Is that possible to do sometime down the road?

Thank you again for your efforts in the creation of these modules!

Blessings and Happy Easter,

Jonathan

Tying the syntax modules to any texts other than the Heb/Grk/etc. texts that they were layered upon is a decision that is entirely up to the Accordance folks. It involves things way beyond my ken.

I've just got to add, as I always do when this topic comes up, that LXX syntax would totally ROCK THE CASBAH! I know it's a huge and diverse corpus, but it would do so much for research! Thanks for considering it in your (distant) plans!

• Like 1

I've just got to add, as I always do when this topic comes up, that LXX syntax would totally ROCK THE CASBAH! I know it's a huge and diverse corpus, but it would do so much for research! Thanks for considering it in your (distant) plans!

I agree. LXX and Peshitta OT would be very useful for me.

"Rock the Casbah"? You sure you want to date yourself like that?

Oh wait, I think I just dated myself! ;)

• Like 1

"Rock the Casbah"? You sure you want to date yourself like that?

Oh wait, I think I just dated myself! ;)

[/

Good music's good music. That's all I'll say.

Edited by A. Smith
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I heartily agree! I think combined with a tagged BHS-W4 and the MT-LXX parallel module there could be some awesome searches done.

• 1 month later...

Remind me what the key number texts are - do you mean the English translation with Strongs?

If so, these are already connected in a roundabout way. Open a window with the NRSVS (or ESVS, etc) beside the GNT and the syntax beside. Hover over a Greek word, and the corresponding word in the syntax module and the English translation will both highlight for you.

Perhaps I'm missing what you are requesting.....

Remind me what the key number texts are - do you mean the English translation with Strongs?

If so, these are already connected in a roundabout way. Open a window with the NRSVS (or ESVS, etc) beside the GNT and the syntax beside. Hover over a Greek word, and the corresponding word in the syntax module and the English translation will both highlight for you.

Perhaps I'm missing what you are requesting.....

Yes, I mean the translations tagged with Strong's numbers. The problem with your "roundabout" solution is exactly that it's "roundabout." It helps with seeing the tagging but not searching it. How does someone who is not comfortable with Greek or Hebrew search an English text for syntactical questions (like all of the complements for a particular verb)? This sort of thing is possible to some degree in Logos, and it would be wonderful if Accordance was eventually able to integrate it as well. Connecting the information through the Strong's tagging (English word -> Greek word -> syntax tagging) may be one way of doing that.

• 4 months later...

The Book of Acts is now add to the released portion of the GNT-T syntax.

Marco: it is but not yet available in Check for Updates. I'll be working on that in the next day or two.

• 1 year later...

I am very excited about this feature in Accordance. Can you tell me when the next modules will be released?

The entire NT is almost finished, but each book needs a final check before we release it, and we don't have a set schedule.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Some good people who have the beta have been sending to me their suggestions. I will take them into account.

Excellent. We are all waiting with bated breath Marco!

All this love for Greek NT makes us Hebrew OT folks feel ... well, neglected.

(Oh the troubling legacy of Marcion ...)

;)

I wait with more bated breath for the Hebrew Prof Holmstedt!!

Thanks for making me feel better, Ken. ;-)

• Like 1

Happy to, though it's also true!

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently working on a PhD and my dissertation is right around the corner. I will be working on Romans. Is there an ETA for the syntax stuff for Romans? A general date (i.e. this summer, or next spring) would be very help for me to know. Thanks.

Some good people who have the beta have been sending to me their suggestions. I will take them into account.

Marco,

Thanks your meticulous and steady work on the Syntax modules. Do you have any further update... particularly on the epistle to the Romans?

• 1 year later...

It has been a while since I checked on the status of the remaining syntax modules for the NT. Is there a possibility that they will be finished this year?

Thanks!