Instant Details

Matt Fredenburg

Hi,

I apologize if I'm beating this to death, but while I understand certain aspects of how keying and Instant Details work, there's still areas that I'm a bit foggy on. To wit:

These are my 'Compare Text' settings:

post-30573-0-19558100-1386745836_thumb.png

When I hover over the word 'meekness', πραΰτητος is highlighted in NA28-T, the key number displayed is G4236, no Greek parsing information is displayed, and the transliteration and spelling are as in the screenshot:

post-30573-0-28177700-1386745844_thumb.png

When I hover over the word 'gentleness', πραΰτητος is once again highlighted in NA28-T, but the key number displayed is G4240, this time there *is* Greek parsing information, and the accenting of the Greek word and the transliteration are different:

post-30573-0-16563800-1386745851_thumb.png

What is driving these differences?

Thanks,

Matt

"Compare" is a function you use for parallel texts of the same language in the same zone. It does not work between different zones. You invoke it by checking the box to the right of "verse x of y" just beneath search entry area. Check out help for using "Compare."

The reason for the difference in instant details is the same as in the other thread: ESVS and HCSBS were tagged differently. This is independent of the "Compare" function, which you are not using (and cannot use; checking the box should not do anything since the texts in parallel are not in the same language).

Michael is correct, this is a tagging issue. The Strong's number that was used in the ESVS represented an older understanding of the lexical form. When the lexical form attached to a Key Number cannot be found in the corresponding Greek text it will not display its parsing. It still highlighted it because the highlighting is set to match partial hits with similar wording.

In any event I updated the tagging for the two instances of this word (1Cor 4.21; 2Cor 10.1), and they will make it out in a future update.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks to both Michael and Rick for your help and explanations!

To summarize what Instant Details displays and where it comes from:

When dealing with the ESVS, the information displayed in Instant Details comes from two places:

1. A database of information associated explicitly with the ESV. This database originates either from the publisher or from Accordance. What actually appears in Instant Details for this portion is driven by the 'Preferences->Instant Details->Key Numbers' settings as highlighted in red here:post-30573-0-58102200-1386884830_thumb.png. If the English tagged text being consulted were, e.g. the HCSBS, then there would be a different database explicitly associated with it, and consequently, the keying information might be different than that which was displayed for the ESVS.
  2. A database of information that is derived from the texts chosen in the 'Preferences->Compare Text->Interlinear Source Texts' Old Testament and New Testament choices made from the dropdowns highlighted in green here:post-30573-0-96094800-1386884844_thumb.png.

Additionally, the original language information that actually appears in Instant Details is controlled by the settings that are highlighted in green from the dialog from 1. above (e.g. Lexical form, Inflected form, Root form).

Is the above more-or-less correct?

Thanks!

Matt

Hey Matt! Everything you listed in your post is correct and perfectly on the right track. The only two clarification points I'd add:

1) The database of information you refer to in point 2. is the 'Parsing' option in the Red portion of your Instant details image. So, you can uncheck that to not use the Source Texts to grab original language information.

2) You say 'what Instant Details displays', but of course this isn't an exhaustive list - it displays other information on tools, the map, user notes, timeline, diagram, etc. I'm sure you knew this, but I wanted to clarify the language slightly to "what Instant Details displays for keyed texts".

Great information and clarification Joel! I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt