How To Duplicate This Text in Accordance

Dr. Nathan Parker

This Student Version of the BHS is required for my Hebrew class:

http://lrsu.textbookx.com/book/Biblia-Hebraica-Stuttgartensia/9783438052223/?course_id=841297

The professor mentioned that it contains the BHS, TC notes, and Masorah M and P.

What Accordance module(s) do I need to "duplicate" this resource in Accordance format?

Thanks!

You can add the BHS-T as an upgrade to the BHS-W4 or HMT-W4. This adds the sigla and the text-critical notes i.e. apparatus. The Masora is not included in etexts except in the few published fascicles of the BHQ. We do have an exciting, new, complete Masora Thesaurus although my guess is that you won't be needing it for quite a while. The BHS Guide included with the Original Language Collection is very helpful.

Nathan, I agree with Helen. I can't imagine you'd need the Masorah in first-year Hebrew.

James may be correct, but my memory of first year Hebrew is lots of memorization of vocabulary and grammar and very little actual reading. (Sigh) Your experience may be different. In either case, here's a nice explanation of the system.

An_Explanation_of_Kethib-Qere-libre.pdf

Ketiv/Qere are both included in the HMT-W4, so that's one of several reasons to start with that text and add BHS-T to it as an upgrade. (The other reasons: the tagging is updated more often, and the syntax syncs only with the HMT-W4.)

Thanks everyone for the excellent info! Dr. J's PDF helped immensely as well!

It's true we won't be getting into the Masorah too deeply at first. We're going to dabble in the text first semester, then gradually use it more second semester, then plunge into it in the third semester.

I probably will pick up the printed copy of it for sure so I have the required text, then I may order a couple things in Accordance (such as the upgrade Helen suggested) and slowly graduate into more as I need it.

I'll also try to caution myself when using Accordance to think more about the text and not lean too heavily on the interactive helps (so I truly learn it). I'm just trying to buy more eBooks and Accordance modules and fewer printed books in general since investing in Accordance gives me more bang for the buck for the future. :-)

Ketiv/Qere are both included in the HMT-W4, so that's one of several reasons to start with that text and add BHS-T to it as an upgrade. (The other reasons: the tagging is updated more often, and the syntax syncs only with the HMT-W4.)

Where would I find those at in the HMT-W4? Can you post an example screenshot? Thanks!

Nathan,

Another item you should consider is that HMT-W4 and BHS-T do not maintain the stichometric analysis that each textual scholar chose in the representation of the codex, as one would find in the print version. While the presentation of the consonants is a diplomatic edition, the format of those consonants are not always necessarily reflective of B19a (Leningrad Codex). As a student, the stichometric analysis will be important to you (especially once you expand into difference genres of the Hebrew Bible). What is more, I would find a PDF copy of the facsimile edition of BHS and consult it once you started reading a section of text.

I would only use the Accordance BHS or HMT as a tool for tracking down grammatical and syntactical questions.

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

What is more, I would find a PDF copy of the facsimile edition of BHS and consult it once you started reading a section of text.

Hi James, do you mean a pdf of the Leningrad? or of BHS? I have not seen a facsimile of BHS. Leningrad, yes. And I agree very helpful.

I wish we had images of the facsimilie of Leningrad MSS in Accordance, much like we have for many of the Greek MSS.

• Like 3

Here is a PDF of black&white photos of B19a (the Leningrad Codex). They are not the hi-res colour photos retaken by the West Semitic Research Project for the facsimile edition published about 15 years ago, but they are still quite usable. If they are public domain (someone else can follow this up), then why couldn't they be incorporated into Accordance in some way?

http://www.seforimonline.org/seforimdb/index.php?table_name=seforim_database&function=details&where_field=id&where_value=264

In other words, it'd be really, really nice if, while studying some passage of the Hebrew Bible, one could open up a photo of the page including that text as a parallel window. In my work on the Baylor handbooks, I've found myself double-checking things like the Ketiv-Qere and te'amim in the Leningrad PDF because I've learned not to trust BHS (or any other printed version) entirely.

Edited by Robert Holmstedt

James,

It would be very nice, since those photos are much, much better. But I will be surprised of the publisher allows the entirety of B19a to be licensed in an affordable digital module. We can always hope, though.

Thank you for the link, Robert!

I agree that clear digital images in an affordable module would be a great help. Let's hope the licensing folks at Accordance can put the deal together.

Tim, good critical reading. You caught the salient word in my response — affordable.

Thanks for the link, Robert! I downloaded it and will give it a spin. I agree with you and Dr. J. about how great it'd be to have an affordable high res copy in Accordance. If Accordance can produce it, I'll sure purchase it!

Thanks everyone for all the additional info as well, and also thanks to Dr. J. for the mentoring and advice you've given me both here and in the webinars. It's been a huge help to prepare me for my journey into the Biblical languages!

• Like 1

You're very welcome, Nathan. God bless!

Thanks everyone for all the additional info as well, and also thanks to Dr. J. for the mentoring and advice you've given me both here and in the webinars. It's been a huge help to prepare me for my journey into the Biblical languages!

At the risk of giving unwanted advice, I'd also just add that it will be easier to know what resources to purchase once you've actually been learning the languages for about a year or so. It can be tempting to buy a bunch of stuff now to make sure you're ready, but it can also be fruitful to wait a year till you see how you're using languages, what resources professors recommend, etc.

• Like 2

At the risk of giving unwanted advice, I'd also just add that it will be easier to know what resources to purchase once you've actually been learning the languages for about a year or so. It can be tempting to buy a bunch of stuff now to make sure you're ready, but it can also be fruitful to wait a year till you see how you're using languages, what resources professors recommend, etc.

Very true and very good advice. My professor suggested that as well. He said it can be fun an zealous to purchase new stuff, but I shouldn't go overboard until I better learn the languages so I know what to purchase.

• Like 1

Sounds like you have a good prof! :)

Honestly, I did great with just my textbook, a basic lexicon (abridged HALOT, though you could also use the Concise Dictionary of Classical Hebrew), a notebook, and--after a semester--Zondervan's Hebrew Reader's Bible. Then in year two I stepped up into HALOT and some other resources.

It's also really great, once you know Hebrew, to be able to use and really appreciate the more technical commentaries.

Sounds like you have a good prof! :)

Honestly, I did great with just my textbook, a basic lexicon (abridged HALOT, though you could also use the Concise Dictionary of Classical Hebrew), a notebook, and--after a semester--Zondervan's Hebrew Reader's Bible. Then in year two I stepped up into HALOT and some other resources.

It's also really great, once you know Hebrew, to be able to use and really appreciate the more technical commentaries.

Yeah, I'm holding off on HALOT for a few semesters (I have concise HALOT in Logos already as part of a package). I agree that I can't wait to better appreciate technical commentaries, etc., once I learn the language. I'm excited to be able to get a better handle on God's Word.

Prof. Holmstedt,

I spoke with Prof. Zuckerman at the recent West Coast Qumran Study group. He has agreed to other software programs using his photos, and I believe the Accordance folk are likewise in pursuit of West Semitic Research Project's hi-res photos. One can hope at least.

If, true this is great news! :)

I believe someone, not too long ago, made a Feature or Module Request for those photos:

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12733

By the way, Helen mentioned that the Ketiv/Qere are both included in the HMT-W4. Where would I find those at in there? Can someone post an example screenshot?

I did purchase the addon Helen mentioned and put the HMT-W4 and the BHS-T and apparatus in a parallel pane. Looks great. It is the correct apparatus that's included in my print BHS, so having all three together in Accordance in parallel is working very nicely.