Flex vs. Exact Searches

williamk

In Acc (10.0.2), if I have multiple Search Tabs open and search for the same word(s) in all of them, some return Exact searches and some return Flex searches.

In Preferences > Search Tabs I have selected "Exact Search" so am not sure why I'm still getting Flex hits in one or more Search Tabs.

I saw this in this situation: three Search Tabs open, all using NKJV, searching for the phrase "little by little" (no quotes) with a search range of All Text.

Tabs 1 and 2 return the same two Exact Hits, but Tab 3 returns "48 flex hits."

Is there another setting I'm missing that controls that third Tab so it returns the same results as the first two?

I definitely see the advantage of the Flex Search -- it's a great option to use when I can't remember the exact wording of a phrase I'm looking for. Would it be possible in a future upgrade to have the Exact/Flex option available in the header area of the Search Tab window so the user could click quickly between Exact and Flex instead of having to go Preferences?

If I search for an Exact phrase, but get no returns because I have remembered the phrase incorrectly, I could easily click on Flex Search and probably get a hit with its broader search capacity. But it would be easier to make that switch in the header of the Search Tab than going to Preferences.

Am I missing something with that suggestion? (Very likely!)

Thanks,

Wk

If you click on the arrow under the search icon (just to the left of the search area) you get a list of your searches and down the bottom is the option to select flex/exact

• Like 1

I figured there had to be an easy answer! Thanks very much, Steve!