Brazos Theological Commentary

Kerry Magruder

I would love to purchase the Brazos Theological Commentary series in Accordance. It hurts to purchase printed copies when I know that I'd rather have them in Accordance, and will buy them again in Accordance when they're available.

For any who haven't seen it already, there's a very interesting article in this month's Christianity Today about how to read the Bible theologically that mentions this series.

• 1 year later...

I'm interested in these as well.

Me too.

Fabulous series….. here is a quip i found in my devotional studies monday.

Surprisingly, God is as active in shutting up the sky as in regularly giving rain and grass. Modern naturalism denies both, while conventional Western supernaturalism reckons one a plausible intervention against the normal operation of the other. Moses does not interpret either the weather or the times through a dichotomy between the physical and the spiritual. For him, both Canaan’s typical seasons and its occasional droughts, as well as wars of human doing and wonders of no natural explanation, serve God’s purposes. To cultures used to reducing analysis to efficient causes, this could seem primitive and unscientific. But that would misunderstand the Mosaic paradigm. Throughout the Pentateuch God has shaped Israel by situating it in a variety of environments. Israel in the land and later in exile will be shaped by further divine warnings and judgments, through natural means as well as supernatural. Moses’s theological meteorology reflects the covenantal quality of Israel’s life, in which both the ordinary and the extraordinary are charged with purpose and accountability. No conditions, fair or foul, relieve God’s people of the responsibility of discerning the times and responding faithfully. Israel and then the church maintain this sensibility across their many cultural shifts through the Old Testament, intertestamental, and New Testament periods. Modernity’s inability to accommodate it is a sign of its own limits, not the limits of Israel’s prescientific mindset. --T. Work, Deuteronomy. Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible

-Dan
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Same here. I've just been recommended the Hauerwas volume on Matthew.

• Like 1