UI Tweak Request

dgzylstra

Multiple Column Text and Search Windows  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's what I'm thinking:

When I'm reading a Bible text (especially one from a poetic book like psalms, or the prophets), the text quite often only takes up a small portion of the left of my window. It's nicely formatted in a poetic structure (which is great). The only problem is that I could be reading twice as much of the text if I could not only set the font size, but also the number of columns for each text display window. This would be especially useful with the increasing availability of widescreen aspect monitors, where there is more room horizontally than there is vertically.

Anyone else agree?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. You can turn off the Poetic formatting in the Set Text Display dialog box and then the text will flow in such a way as to fill the whole pane. You can also drag the right edge of a pane to widen it or make it more narrow. If you're asking to have the text of a single translation display in multiple columns like a print Bible or word processing document, that would require a major overhaul of the interface and raise a number of thorny problems. It would be far more than a "tweak."

If you're asking to have the text of a single translation display in multiple columns like a print Bible or word processing document, that would require a major overhaul of the interface and raise a number of thorny problems. It would be far more than a "tweak."

Yeah, I guess that is what I'm really asking for, to be able to view the one translation in multiple columns. I guess it would be a pretty major overhaul wouldn't it. I might be in the minority here, but I actually prefer reading things on my computer as opposed to in a book (even fiction!), but only if it's done properly. Being able to read a single translation in multiple columns (kind of like a boo), while still retaining the poetic formatting would be ideal to me.

On another, but related topic, (and this may be much easier to do), it would be nice even to have the option to change the background colour in a given tool to increase the readability. I know that some people require the high-contrast of black-on-white, but most books (in real-old-fashioned hardcopy) don't really have truly "white" pages. Being able to change your background colour might help making Accordance texts a joy to read. Plus it could have the added advantage of users being able to colour-code various tools via their background colour, so that they don't even need to look at the title of the frame to know what kind of module they're using.

Maybe silly, I know, I know...

Thanks for responding, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand what he is asking. It's very odd to read twenty inch long sentences. A multi-column display (one translation, three six inch columns wide on a big display) would be cool, but honestly it sounds like a lot of work... I don't know that I would use it, and I'm not asking for it, just trying to clarify...

Joel

To dgzylstra first request, I agree. Scrolling is a pain and makes one less productive when there is available screen space (horizontally).

To the second request, again, I agree. With displays capable of millions of colors, replicating colors similar to a good book's paper pages could be more comfortable to the eyes. The difference of a vanilla color background is subtle yet makes for more pleasant reading.

• 3 months later...
On another, but related topic, (and this may be much easier to do), it would be nice even to have the option to change the background colour in a given tool to increase the readability. I know that some people require the high-contrast of black-on-white, but most books (in real-old-fashioned hardcopy) don't really have truly "white" pages. Being able to change your background colour might help making Accordance texts a joy to read. Plus it could have the added advantage of users being able to colour-code various tools via their background colour, so that they don't even need to look at the title of the frame to know what kind of module they're using.

Please, please please implement this. I think accordance is a very good app for bible study. I certainly don't use it as much as I would like. One of the reasons is the contrasty, black on white, is just too harsh for my eyes. I have tried to lower the contrast and brightness of my screen but being a designerwho calibrates his monitor for color accuracy, this is highly undesireable. Macsword allows me to change the background and font to MY color choice, not some predetermined

I too would vote to have both of the options available in Accordance.

Archived