Wrong link in EBC-R of Luke 1:37

Bret Hicks

I am not sure if this is the right place to report it, but in the EBC-R of Luke 1:37, the text contains a reference/link to Genesis 18:4, which should be Genesis 18:14 (since the LXX text of Luke 1:37 and Genesis 18:14 are almost identical).

Thanks.

Since you took the time to post it here, Accordance staff could probably log it for you, but they generally ask users to report using the in-app "Report a Correction" feature (for not just typos, but also broken hyperlinks).

It's not as automated on an iOS device--you have to email corrections@accordancebible.com in that case, and manually compose the subject line and email.

The book preview in Amazon.com shows 18:4 as well but I would guess it is a mistake and suppose to be 18:14. The question always is does one remain faithful to the print edition or introduce corrections (one would assume Accordance would not introduce any corrections until acknowledged either by the author or publisher).

-Dan

• Like 1

I was in a similar dilemma when I reported a lot of reference mistakes and typos found in the print edition HALOT, many of which were present in the Accordance edition as well - but not all of them. So they do correct some mistakes after all (at least for the HALOT) but I wouldn't know anything about their general modus operandi for these kind of things.

Edited by Pchris
  • Like 1

I cannot find any official errata for EBC-R which is sad.

-Dan

I was in a similar dilemma when I reported a lot of reference mistakes and typos found in the print edition HALOT, many of which were present in the Accordance edition as well - but not all of them. So they do correct some mistakes after all (at least for the HALOT) but I wouldn't know anything about their general modus operandi for these kind of things.

One advantage to digital publishing is it can quickly rectify errors from print editions. Peter, thanks for your time in submitting all those HALOT corrections, from which others of us will benefit!

• Like 1

I found a couple of errors in my print edition of Danker (BDAG) too, but I cannot double check with the Accordance version, as I don't have it. (Still saving up for Greek Master!) Could someone with the BDAG module go see if the errors are still there?

They are found on:

Page 110 under the entry ἀποθανοῦμαι. Where it reads "s. ἀποθνπῄσκω", it should've read ἀποθνῄσκω.

Page 878 under the entry πρόσερχομαι, paragraph 1b (right before 1c), it reads "To Jesus 1 Pt 2:3". It should've read "1 Pt: 2:4". The verb isn't found at all in 2:3.

I think I actually have a two or three more written down somewhere in the dictionary, but seeing as I wrote down the errors only on the relevant pages (and 5 years ago, too), its kind of difficult to remember them all. And now it has just gotten pitch-black outside, so I can't see much either at the moment. The lighting is horrible where I live. Oh well! I'll have a look again tomorrow..

Anyway, I'm only happy to help!

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

Edited by Pchris

Hey Peter,

From BDAG in Acc p110 :

ἀποθανοῦμαι s. ἀποθνῄσκω.

But the other one is still as you would rather it wasn't :

b. of approach to or entry into a deity’s presence, transf. sense of 1a: approach (Cass. Dio 56, 9, 2 τοῖς θεοῖς προσερχώμεθα; PGiss 20, 24=Mitt-Wilck. I/2, 94; Jer 7:16; Sir 1:28 μὴ προσέλθῃς αὐτῷ [=τῷ κυρίῳ] ἐν καρδίᾳ δισσῇ; Philo, Plant. 64, Deus Imm. 8; Tat. 18, 2; Ath. 18, 1) πρ. τῷ θεῷ Hb 7:25; 11:6; cp. 1 Cl 23:1; 29:1. W. dat. of place τῷ θρόνῳ τῆς χάριτος Hb 4:16. Also abs. προσέρχεσθαι means come to God in a cultic sense. 10:1, 22. Some hold that πρ. in Hb may connote the forensic idea ‘appear in court’ (POxy 40, 4 [iI/III AD]; 2783, 25 [iII AD]; PRyl 234, 6 [iI AD]). The cultic aspect prob. furnishes the clue to the abs. πυκνότερον προσερχόμενοι 2 Cl 17:3.—To Jesus 1 Pt 2:3 (of proselytes, FDanker, ZNW 58, ’67, 95f; w. πρός as Lucian, Ver. Hist. 2, 28; Ex 34:32; Josh 14:6).

Thx

D

• Like 1

Thank you very much for double checking, Daniel! If you haven't sent in a report already, I'll go ahead and do it later today.

Actually I didn't even think to send a report - ooops. Sent one now as I have the resource still up at the right location.

Thx

D

• Like 1