Searching Journals Question

Dr. Nathan Parker

I don't have the Theological Journals in Accordance yet, but I do have them in Logos. I may crossgrade them to Accordance early next year (my CC this year is already too full to spend more money) to get Volume 16 as well as be in a position for future journals (I have Vol 1-15 in Logos plus Bib Sac 1-90; since Logos isn't releasing the "Volumes" themselves anymore, it could get confusing if/when new journals hit how to purchase them that I may be better off crossgrading to Accordance and getting future journals that way).

Here's a search I run often in Logos on the journals for college papers, etc. I was wondering how I would duplicate that search in Accordance if I decide to get the journals in Accordance.

<bible = PASSAGE> NEAR TOPIC

Here's an example from reality:

<bible = Genesis 2:17> NEAR death

It's basically telling the journals to look for the Genesis 2:17 reference near the word "death".

I could also tweak the search a couple different ways:

<bible ~ Genesis 2:17> WITHIN 10 WORDS death

Instead of using an equals sign, I could use a tilde instead of even if the passage is in a range of passages, the search still finds it. I can also replace NEAR to "WITHIN x WORDS" to specify the actual word proximity.

Another search I use in Logos on the journals is the largetext and the heading search. Usually I put both together in a search query like this:

largetext:"spiritual death" OR heading:"spiritual death"

How would I duplicate some of those searches in Accordance? I'm sure it's probably extremely easy to do and probably a lot easier than I'm even doing in Logos. Knowing how to re-create those would help me learn how to search my journals, as well as other modules in my library for seminary paper stuff.

Thanks!

Nathan, thanks for the post! While I'm not familiar with the Logos syntax, I think I understand the gist of the searches you are trying to accomplish. In Accordance, we use different Fields to represent the information you are talking about. On the left side of your entry box for the tool is a popup menu that lets you choose which field to search. For Trinity Journal, I have: Titles, English Content, Scripture, Greek Content, Hebrew Content, Transliteration, Manuscripts, Bibliography, Authors, and Page Numbers. You can select any of these fields to search that specific portion of the tool. So, your search {largetext:"spiritual death" OR heading:"spiritual death"} would be replaced by a search for "spiritual death" in the Titles field.

To combine different fields, you can use the plus button on the right side of the entry box to add extra fields. Each extra field (can have lots!) can be added 'AND' or 'OR' (to see if you want both results or cases where only both are true), and you can specify whether to search within the Article, or within just a Paragraph. For example, do I want to find when 'death' is used in the same paragraph as a reference to Gen 2:17, or simply within the same article?

Of course, each field also supports our full suite of Accordance commands. So, I could run a search to find all instances of life, followed within 5 words of death, in the same paragraph as references to a custom set of 200 verses I defined, in specific years of the journals, but not written by a particular author. Whew :)

I hope this helps!

The one caveat to the array of search options that Joel suggested is that you can't do them in the Research tab, which means you can't run the search in all of the journals at once. You'll have to search each journal individually.

Thanks for the info! That also helps me search in general. I think I've got it down what you're saying and I'll play around with the different fields and try some searches on other resources (until I get the journals). It seems like I can very easily re-create those searches in Accordance, and with a lot less typing. :-)

I was curious about that with the Research column or if I'd have to search each journal individually. It'd be nice if in the future those searches would work in Research (maybe something for Accordance 12), but from what I've seen of the journals, all the journals are combined into larger journal sets (unlike Logos that publishes each one individually) so it still wouldn't be too bad, plus I'm starting to get acquainted enough with the journals to tell which ones usually contain more information I'm wanting to look for and which ones don't, so I can plan a strategy to hit the preferred ones first and work my way from there.

Thanks a bunch everyone for the Info! This will be a huge help to me in seminary.

• 8 months later...

Hi there

Is it possible limit a word search to all titles in all journal articles? E.g. looking for all articles in all journals that have the words 'Luke' and 'purpose' in them. I know you can individually search journals with the 'title' field, but is there a way to do the search on all journals simultaneously? Research only allows you to search 'English'.

Or will I need to set up many workspaces/tabs with links?

Thanks

Derek

If you have organized your tools into the new categories, these classifications appear in Research, so you can indeed search all the journals at once, and the results will be sorted first by those with hits in the title, and then by those with content hits. You may want to look through the Library first to be sure that all your journals are in the right category.

Thanks Helen

I figured out what you meant. Is it possible then to research titles and exclude content hits?

Thanks

Not in Research, only in individual journals, but the results in Research are separated so you can go to one or the other. I.e. you can select the search field in thew results but not as a search criterion.

• Like 1