Should Accordance provide an option to display section titles in the main Bible text?

RichardHendricks

Section Titles in the Main Bible Text  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it would be interesting to have them, but I wouldn't want that to get in the way of (or delay) other incoming features.

Well, in the rare case when all the Accordance programmers are sitting around the office twiddling their thumbs and wondering what to do, may I suggest the addition of the headings in the text modules?

I have no real strong leaning either way on this topic. If you want to get really a purist text, you should also remove chapter and verse from the text. The reason those were added was to aid in finding particular locations in Scripture. Pericope headings can serve the same function. I understand the argument that pericope headings differ from version to version and also within different editions of the same version, but a similar statement came be made about chapter and verse designations. I don't see a reason not to include pericope headings as an option.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

I have brought this up in the past as I do think headings offer a quick, birds-eye view of the general context. I sometimes use them when I need to breakdown and teach one to three chapters of text at once.

While the question of putting them into the biblical text or keeping them in the notes files is being discussed and voted on, I'd like to mention that the only bible I have actually found to have true section titles in my Accordance 'notes' files is the HCSB. I have checked my NASB, ESV, NJKV, NIV etc. All I can identify in the 'notes' files for these versions are cross references and translation notes. I have heard that the section headings are contained in the notes files for each respective bible, but I cannot seem to find them, what I am missing?

I think you're right that about others not having the headings, the original NIV doesn't have them, but the NIV 2011 version does includes them in the notes file along with the cross references.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I voted no because I find that often enough I don't agree with these headings and find them off-putting.

I figure that if Father wanted headings in His Word, He's plenty capable of having had put them in there Himself.

• 2 weeks later...

I am ok with it for the option so that I could know that the translators have said in their text. This would help me not be surprised by people in my Sunday School class talking about them. Since I do not have hard copies of these text I am not aware of what is written in them.

However I agree that they should not be used to decide what the bible means. That is what the Holy Spirit and time is for.

I also would rather other things be the center of the developer's efforts, as this is a very low priority for me personally.

Thanks for the chance to voice our opinions.