Inconsistent results with articulated predicate nominatives

JonathanHuber

While looking at a question posed in another thread, I came across an inconsistency that confuses me. I'm trying to find predicate nominatives that have the definite article, so I set up a construct search as shown (the box for "search both directions" was checked). This search returned results in John 20:15 (ὁ κηπουρός ἐστιν), 21:7 (ὁ κύριός ἐστιν), and 21:12 (ὁ κύριός ἐστιν). There is a construct in John 15:1 (ὁ γεωργός ἐστιν) that appears to be identical to the other results but is not returned by the search.

Is this an issue with tagging, searching, or something else I'm missing?

post-30744-0-30572700-1363785927_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Jonathan, you were right to report this, as John 15:1 should show, too. Inside the database John 15:1 has the same tags that the other examples.

I tried this search with the last version of Accordance 10.1.6, and to my relieve also ὁ πατήρ μου ὁ γεωργός ἐστιν showed. I hope that the issue is now solved. If not, please let me know.

As for your search, I would add more mood to the Verb εἰμί: theoretically speaking, it would be possible to have a predicate nominative with all finite moods. So also imperative, subjunctive, or optative would be eligible. A search for subjunctive would point to 1Cor 15:28 (as you know, the beta syntax module includes it): ἵνα ᾖ ὁ θεὸς [τὰ] πάντα ἐν πᾶσιν. The module assumes the the article is part of the text.

It would also include 2Cor 4,7: ἵνα ἡ ὑπερβολὴ τῆς δυνάμεως ᾖ τοῦ θεοῦ. This would be a genitive complement. There is an interesting thread about such complements in the B-Greek forum.

You probably would like to find only nominative predicate complements. You might do that by restraining the complement to [ANY nominative]. Or else you may restrain the specifier to [ARTICLE nominative]

Yes, this search is working much better in 10.1.6. Thanks!