Problem with autoupdate after 8.4 upgrade

Simon Warren

Hmm, it's supposed to be showing the file sizes. What Mac OS are you using?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm getting something similar. Using a 13" Macbook with 10.6.2 and Accordance 8.4. This is with a clean install of Snow Leopard and Accordance. Is it safe to upgrade the modules or will anything get messed up?

Thanks,

Ron

post-24200-125885022572_thumb.png

The bug has been found and should be fixed for the next release of Accordance. In the meantime, i can't think of any reason why the upgrades should have a problem if you install them now, Ron. If you are concerned about it, though, you can make a manual backup by finding the actual module files in [Accordance Folder]/Modules/Texts or /Tools and copying them to another location, so you have a saved backup. I really don't think that the funny size display should mess with the actual download and install, though.

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the info and the help. I'll back up the files before I update just in case.

Ron

The bug has been found and should be fixed for the next release of Accordance. In the meantime, i can't think of any reason why the upgrades should have a problem if you install them now, Ron. If you are concerned about it, though, you can make a manual backup by finding the actual module files in [Accordance Folder]/Modules/Texts or /Tools and copying them to another location, so you have a saved backup. I really don't think that the funny size display should mess with the actual download and install, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue, except I am having trouble updating one module. I click download (it says it is done) and then I click install, which it says it does, and I check for updates and then it says there are none. If I restart the program and check for updates, I continue to get these:

post-29424-125962648782_thumb.png

and

post-29424-125962650432_thumb.png

Help?

I believe that I have now corrected the issues with both Psalms and Thayer.

Well, Helen, that did move the Thayer module first screen. But I still have the same symptom where I download them and chose install, but upon restarting the program they revert back to being available to update.

post-29424-125962784466_thumb.png

In addition to the previous screenshots, I also have an issue where the update checking hangs. I've attached a screen shot.

post-177-125963416619_thumb.png

Normally the updates are downloaded to and unstuffed in

~/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/AccordanceUpdates/

Please check and see if the modules are there. If so, you can replace your modules manually.

In addition to the previous screenshots, I also have an issue where the update checking hangs. I've attached a screen shot.

I am having the same problem. Update never gets past this point in checking for updates. Have to force quit.

Joel is our updater expert, and I am sure he will try to sort all this out today.

We have found the problem with the hanging around 60%, and it should be fixed in the 8.4.1 update.

Well, Helen, that did move the Thayer module first screen. But I still have the same symptom where I download them and chose install, but upon restarting the program they revert back to being available to update.

Robert, were you able to find the files where Helen suggested and move them? Also, is your Accordance folder on your primary drive or on an external drive?

Well, I checked the area that Helen mentioned and I found it empty. I tried again this morning, and I can update Thayer now. Haven't tried to do the Pslams (Spurgeon) update yet. But I also want to say that I think I found a bug that I can reliably reproduce. I was noticing it during this series of updates, but I thought it might have been just a fluke. To reproduce the bug:

1. Open Accordance
  2. Have the library window open (leave it open)
  3. Close any workspace window.
  4. check for updates
  5. download and install them
  6. quit accordance
  7. Program crash.

I have done this about 6 times. One for each update. I attached the crash report that was produced.

Problem Report.zip

I just tried it again, The Psalms (Spurgeon) update didn't work and I was able to crash Accordance. Also, if I open up a text or tool workspace (which, oddly enough my Accordance isn't remembering where they are located) like the ESVS, and have it open when I quit Accordance, it doesn't crash.

Additionally,

When trying to install the Psalms (Spurgeon) update, I tried to watch the file enter the temp folder. In the AutoUpdate Window in Accordance, I can click download, which Accordance almost tells me immediately that it is done downloading, then I check the Finder window opened to the AccordanceUpdates folder—it is empty. Click install, the AutoUpdate tells me that it is finished updating, and when I close Accordance (without a workspace open) it crashes.

Mac, 10.6.2, Accordance 8.4.

I'm experiencing the same thing that everyone else here has with hanging, not installing and crashing.

I had the hanging around 60% yesterday, but it's not doing it today.

I could not install the Thayer or Psalms (Spurgeon) update yesterday. Then Thayer updated ok today, but Psalms still won't update. I get the same behavior with Psalms as Robert where it downloads and installs but doesn't.

What's even weirder is I have no ~/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/AccordanceUpdates/ on my hard drive. I don't even have a TemporaryItems folder. Not in the System Library, not in the Library and not in the User Library. Am I missing something? I turned on show invisible files and still nothing.

It's amazing how many things can go wrong with a single update. Please try Psalms again, as I fixed another error in the file name.

It's amazing how many things can go wrong with a single update. Please try Psalms again, as I fixed another error in the file name.

Whatever you did, it worked now!

Thanks again!!!

Well, I was able to update the module. And I was able to crash it again. Then I restarted and repaired my disk permissions using the Disk Utility. Everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks for all your help! You guys are top notch.

I was able to complete the updates. However there are a number of other updates listed now that are not available for download. Can you tell me if these are important updates? Or should I wait til my next order?

UBS Lexicon, Spicq, TWOT, Ross Hebrew, Robertson Greek, and Wallace Greek. Thanks.

None of these are very important, and all require the 8.4 DVD but can certainly wait until your next order to be shipped.

None of these are very important, and all require the 8.4 DVD but can certainly wait until your next order to be shipped.

Will do. There will always be more orders. In fact, I picked up the ESV Study Bible on sale this morning. It is almost a must have for those considering it. In fact, last night I was doing some reading and kept jumping to the atlas module for reference. After popping in the ESV Study Bible, the first thing I noticed was that there was a map right there where I am studying. I love the atlas and the way it works, but it is also nice to have a map specifically for the passage so readily available. The ESV Study Bible is a great addition.

Archived