Mac Stolen: what now?!

JJC

My macbook was just stolen, so I will need to replace it. How should I go about getting accordance with all my modules on the new device, when I get it? Also, I had User notes linked with texts: Will these be lost? I have Time machine backups on an external hard drive, so perhaps it would be embedded there somehow?

Thanks!

Josh

Hi, Josh!

I am so sorry! I hope and pray the stolen property will be returned to you, the best of all possible outcomes.

If you have to go with a different machine, there's no problem installing Accordance and all your purchased modules on it. Just download the latest software version from our website, enter your username and password and download your modules. Once you get that far, use your backup files to reinstall Accordance Files from your User>Documents folder. You should then be good to go.

Sorry, Josh. I suppose you've tried Find My Mac? Were you insured? If not, try this next time. Our laptops and iPads are insured through them. It doesn't eliminate the hassle, but it does save you some bucks.

Reloading all your stuff from your TimeMachine Backup works well. I think Dr. J's suggestion of a fresh install of Accordance is a good one. All your User Notes and Highlights are in your Dropbox folder, too. Lots of redundancy, and that's a good thing.

Thanks very much, Dr. J, and Julia--both very helpful. I was not insured, but will look into your suggestion, Julia, for next time; thanks!

Josh

Sorry, Josh. I suppose you've tried Find My Mac? Were you insured? If not, try this next time. Our laptops and iPads are insured through them. It doesn't eliminate the hassle, but it does save you some bucks.

Reloading all your stuff from your TimeMachine Backup works well. I think Dr. J's suggestion of a fresh install of Accordance is a good one. All your User Notes and Highlights are in your Dropbox folder, too. Lots of redundancy, and that's a good thing.

Also, check your homeowners. I got a rider for my son's laptop at college from State Farm for $50 or so.

One advantage with WorthAve is that is covers accidental damage as well as theft. We've never had to file a claim, but we had a pastor, retired now, who spilled a cup of coffee into his laptop. That was covered. He has since spilled pancake syrup into it. The problem with electronics runs in the family – his son dropped an iPod into the commode – remember the old click-wheel kind? (Commode is Southern for toilet.)