Ok I have done a Search, now what????

wrongway

My guess is that this has been asked and answered so many times but I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for so...

After doing a search and I get the window that has the verses and a snippet of the verse, I would like to now double-click and open that book and center on that verse so I can read around it too. But, when I double-click it does nothing.

IIRC it seem to do that in version 4 (my previous version), so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Larry

You can right-click in the verse and select Lookup: Context from the menu, or click in the verse and click the Context button on the resource palette. Double-clicking never did that in Accordance, it has always selected the word, Mac standard behavior.

You can right-click in the verse and select Lookup: Context from the menu, or click in the verse and click the Context button on the resource palette. Double-clicking never did that in Accordance, it has always selected the word, Mac standard behavior.

Thanks Helen, I will give it a try when I get home.

Larry

I'm not entirely following what you are doing, Larry. First, you say this:

After doing a search and I get the window that has the verses and a snippet of the verse

This isn't how Accordance does searches. All searches are run as part of the same window and show the entire appropriate verse. So, I am really not sure what you are doing to have it run in a new window, which then only shows a part of each verse.

Then you say this:

I would like to now double-click and open that book and center on that verse so I can read around it too. But, when I double-click it does nothing.

As Helen said, standard on almost any mac application, double-click is to select a word. If you simply click in that verse once, then click the Context button in the Resource palette, you'll see the entire text centered on that hit.

An alternative is to click the 'More Options' disclosure triangle, then set the 'Add Context:' menu to All Text. This means you actually see the entire text when doing a search, with the hit locations highlighted with bookmarks. You can use the Mk up and down arrows at the bottom of the screen to navigate through the different hits.

IIRC it seem to do that in version 4 (my previous version), so what am I doing wrong?

Wow, version 4! I can't even fathom the number of upgrades and features we've added in the last 11 years since 4.0 was released! Out of curiosity, what Mac were you running that on?

If these instructions continue to not work, could you perhaps attach some screenshots to your reply, so we can see exactly what is not working?

Yeah, that didn't work.

I've attached some screen shots that might help:

Presumption --> You've done a word search (my example is for "gentleness" in HCSB)

First approach:

0. Do your word search... that will turn up the results like in the image word-search-results.png

1. Click the context button (see the image) while your cursor is in the verse of interest (CMD+5 is the keystroke that does the same thing as the button)

That will open a separate tab with no search box that has a copy of the current tab's windows

2. You'll need to make sure that you've got the "Show all text" box checked to see the whole bible (see the image after-cmd+5.png)

Note the little blue bookmark on the right gutter.. that's the verse indicator

I'm guessing this isn't what you wanted, so I'll show you the way to see, and scroll to your verses at will in the same tab and pane where you did your search:

0. Do your word search... that will turn up results like word-search-results.png as above

1. change the context in the search box options (see the img set-context-to-all)

This will give you the whole bible with your search results inline... the verses that fit your search results will (as above) be identified by the little blue bookmark in the right hand gutter.

To navigate your search results in the whole bible, use the navigation triangles at the bottom border of the window next to the "Mk" (see the mark-navigation.png attached img)

If this doesn't work for you, then please explain a bit more then just "didn't work" and I'll do what I can to help.

Shalom,

Mike

post-19213-127415543488.png

post-19213-127415581547_thumb.png

post-19213-127415617086_thumb.png

post-19213-127415618768_thumb.png

post-19213-127415655195_thumb.png

Thanks Mike, that seems to do what I wanted. The CMD+5 key pops up a new window with the whole context. Now if I can remember that keystroke. I'm not a big Mac user (but big PC user), just switched back in November, so please have pity on me. LOL

Thanks again.

I'm not a big Mac user (but big PC user), just switched back in November, so please have pity on me. LOL

Thanks again.

I remember going through the same problems when I switched (when parallels first came out for the intel mac)... I think you'll be surprised about 4 months down the road.

If you still use a PC too, you'll find your fingers fighting the back and forth on the cmd vs ctrl keys!

LOL, they already are. I have the magic mouse and I love the fast scroll and move back/forward by just swiping my fingers. I can't do that with my track ball. But, I do love the track ball, I don't have to move the stupid thing. Too bad MS doesn't make them anymore. I goggled it and saw that you can purchase one for over $300.00, OUCH! I paid $49 a few years ago. Now, if Apple could make a wireless track ball like the magic, then we would be cooking with Crisco! LOL

LOL, they already are. I have the magic mouse and I love the fast scroll and move back/forward by just swiping my fingers. I can't do that with my track ball. But, I do love the track ball, I don't have to move the stupid thing. Too bad MS doesn't make them anymore. I goggled it and saw that you can purchase one for over $300.00, OUCH! I paid $49 a few years ago. Now, if Apple could make a wireless track ball like the magic, then we would be cooking with Crisco! LOL

This is quickly getting off topic, but... I always love and like to recommend Logitech. I don't use trackballs, so I can't directly recommend it, but they have some nice cordless trackball options, some at $49 or $59:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice_pointers/trackballs

Archived