Question regarding use of images from the Bible Lands PhotoGuide

R. Mansfield

Over on the Novum Testamentum blog, Brandon Wason asked for royalty free sources of images of biblical sites. I mistakenly suggested the Accordance Bible Lands PhotoGuide, but upon further inspection these are NOT royalty free. I corrected that assumption in the comments of his blog entry.

But that leads to my question here regarding "fair use" (for lack of a better term). Is it legal and appropriate for me to use these photographs in a classroom setting or even a church setting when I am teaching? I admit that I have done both on a number of occasions by pasting the photographs into PowerPoint. Is this kind of use allowable?

You are free to use any and all Accordance materials for teaching, both in projection and in handouts. If you publish any material you must check the copyright information for that module (a short version can be found in About The Text).

People often ask about the Atlas maps. We consider these tools that allow you to create your own maps, so you are free to use them in any way.

Of course we always appreciate it when Accordance is acknowledged as a source. :)

The photographs in the PhotoGuide (and in other modules) are somewhat of an exception. They are copyright, and we do not want them published especially on the Internet, as once published in that way they are basically public domain. Again, you are free to use and distribute them in class or in Church.

I hope this clarifies the issues.

Yes, it does. I can continue the day guilt-free--at least in this regard :rolleyes:

Another excellent resource is Todd Bolen's Bible Places. <http://bibleplaces.com/> Todd's pictures have a higher resolution than those in the Accordance module.

You can see the licensing and copyright information at <http://www.bibleplaces.com/licensing.htm> and <http://www.bibleplaces.com/copyright.htm>.

I would love to see OakTree Software integrate Todd's excellent resources into an Accordance module.

Arne Halbakken

• 1 year later...

Helen,

Where can I find the photos on my computer? I want to be able to use many of them in a Keynote presentation. I know that I can go into Accordance and look for Herodium, for example, and save each one as a .pict file and then import it, but there must be a faster and easier way. Do you understand what it is that I want to do?

Don Ruhl

Hi Don, I'm not Helen, but I've used several of the photos in Keynote from time to time. The easiest way I've been able to do this is by copying them using the Edit/Contextual menus and pasting them into Keynote. I don't believe you can access the photos except through the module itself unless you were to import them one by one into iPhoto or something like that.

Hi Don, I'm not Helen, but I've used several of the photos in Keynote from time to time. The easiest way I've been able to do this is by copying them using the Edit/Contextual menus and pasting them into Keynote. I don't believe you can access the photos except through the module itself unless you were to import them one by one into iPhoto or something like that.

Thank you, Robb.

Don Ruhl

Archived