Searching the Library Window

DanG

First, let me say I love the new Library Window in version 8. It is helpful for organizing modules and trying to find modules you own.

When I saw the posting for the Graphic Modules Sale today I thought I would make sure I owned all of the modules. (I'm always up for a deal!) So... I opened the Library Window and typed in "Bibl" thinking that it would find "Bible Lands PhotoGuide" and "Accordance Gallery of Bible Art" and "Holman Book of Biblical Charts, Maps, & Reconstructions" and "Biblical World in Pictures" BUT it only found "Bible Art" because it's the only one of those modules whose actual Module Name BEGINS with "Bibl".

I couldn't remember that the module, "Biblical World in Pictures" is actually named "BAS Pictures", so after trying to search for "Pict" and "World" and anything else I could think of, I began the search through my entire Library Window manually. I found it at the bottom of my General Tools. The only clue that it might be the same thing as "Biblical World in Pictures" was the word "Pictures" in the title.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been stymied by this.

In order to find anything in the Library Window with the Find field you must know the name for the module that Accordance uses, not the actual name of the book/module. So, for instance, in order to find the following modules, I must memorize the name used by Accordance as in the examples below.

Bible Lands PhotoGuide = PhotoGuide 3

Accordance Gallery of Bible Art = Bible Art

Holman Book of Biblical Charts, Maps, & Reconstructions = Holman Charts

Biblical World in Pictures = BAS Pictures

So here's an idea: How about being able to search by title (real title), title (Accordance's), author, or partial match of any of combination of those.

I think it would make the Library Window much more intuitive and functional.

Second, how about a button in the Library Window to "Find Next." I have to look up command-G every time. By the way, if you type "Library Window" into the Accordance Help module, Library doesn't show up as a Topic. If you type "Library", then Library is the Topic found at the top of the list. When you open the Library topic, the name of the window is The Library Window. (I had trouble finding the command key shortcut too) However, if you type "Library Window" into the Help Menu, then Library shows up as the fourth Help Topic listed.

Dan,

Making the find feature of the Library more flexible is on our list of things to do.

As for a button for Find Next, two arrow buttons appear beside the find box at the top of the Library window. Click the down arrow to Find Next and the up arrow to Find Previous.

I have to agree with Dan on this post.

I have had the very same problem trying to find different modules that I had not memorized the exact name of.

I use Accordance to search for words so much I get frustrated when the Library window doesn't work the same way. In the Library window, unless I type in the name exactly as it appears it will not be found. If I type in "notes" instead of finding every module that has the word "notes" in it and using command-G to skip to the particular notes I am looking for, it finds nothing. This is not very helpful as a search function since I end up manually looking through my folders until I find the correct module.

I actually didn't know about Command-G. That is very helpful, but it doesn't solve my problem.

Dan,

Making the find feature of the Library more flexible is on our list of things to do.

As for a button for Find Next, two arrow buttons appear beside the find box at the top of the Library window. Click the down arrow to Find Next and the up arrow to Find Previous.

Glad to hear it's on your list!

And thanks for pointing out the arrow buttons. They don't appear unless you type something in the box, so I guess I missed it!

Archived