iOS Tags

Rick Conklin

I'd like to suggest "tags" on iOS.

This would allow me to "tag" a verse with a word (e.g. an attitude) that may not be in the verse but is implied to me. Currently, the search function only searches for actual words. Tags give me the ability to give that verse a "category" or "topic".

** Ideally, that would be incorporated in the desktop version and sync. But, for now (on the desktop) I can save a workspace with a reference list. So, my first request is the iOS version.

Any chance we'll see that soon in iOS?

thanks

Rick Conklin

Wichita, KS

• Like 1

A suggestion on how iOS tagging would work. I highlight the verse Phil2:7. Currently the choices pop up: Copy verse, Highlight, User note, Show in Context, Amplify, Cancel. A new choice would show up here: Tag. Choosing that would allow me to enter my tag(s). I would type "humility". Of course, past tags would be available. As I start to type, tags that begin with those letters appear.

When I choose search (magnifying glass), a third choice appears, Words, Verses and Tags. In the search box I enter one or more words. (obviously I'm not referring to the Greek or Hebrew tab option)

You've got the idea.

Go for it.

Rick

• Like 2

I do like this idea, Rick. There are other ways you could use tags as well, e.g. Creating a tag called Talk1 which could link together a series of texts otherwise unconnected you may wish to use in a talk or sermon.

Martin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

One way of tagging right now is making use of the user notes, though, a specific feature would be great.

• 2 months later...

I hoping to revive this topic.

With Mavericks Apple allowed up to tag files. It was a small thing but an huge benefit. I can give multiple tags to a file name and search MY WAY.

I am not a fan of the little highlight symbols. They don't allow me to focus on MY topics.

I'd like to be able to tag a verse (or highlight multiple verses) and give them MY tags; multiple tags. The theme of "Election" might be important to me. So, I might start tagging verses with that.

The best approach would be to synch my tags (Dropbox or iCloud) so that the tags synch between my Macs and my iOS devices. I'll bet a wooden nickel that your customer base would be in favor of that.

Sorry to hear you don't think the highlight symbols will work for you, Rick. They were designed for just this purpose, as were the various underlines and highlights.

Rick,

Curious why highlighting/underlines/symbols don't work. You can create a style called "Election" (could make it an invisible underline if you like) and go to town tagging words/phrases/verses with it. You can search by style as well. That is essentially a custom tagging mechanism for the texts of our module.

Do say more, so others can make suggestions. Not sure how your way isn't easily accomplished using highlighting styles.

Rick,

Curious why highlighting/underlines/symbols don't work. You can create a style called "Election" (could make it an invisible underline if you like) and go to town tagging words/phrases/verses with it. You can search by style as well. That is essentially a custom tagging mechanism for the texts of our module.

Do say more, so others can make suggestions. Not sure how your way isn't easily accomplished using highlighting styles.

I dont get how to highlight on iPad verses with those symbols. Can you please explain more in detail?

I think the symbols will be implemented in the upcoming major upgrade. I do not see them in the newly released point upgrade.

• Like 1

I think the symbols will be implemented in the upcoming major upgrade. I do not see them in the newly released point upgrade.

cannot wait :-)

v1.7.4 will display any highlight symbols added on the desktop and synced over with the highlight files but there is no way to add them yet in iOS.

Rick,

Joe,

Ok. I set up a new style called "Eternal Life". (Forest green box). I used that for John 3:16 and 1John 5:13. I then searched [sTYLE Eternal Life] and it found those two verse. Not bad.

However...

a) I'd have to make a cheat sheet. When I scroll up John 3:16... I'm not going to remember why this Forest green box is around that verse. So that's a little clunky.

b )I may see more than one topic in a verse that I'd like to tag. If I were to connect multiple symbols on a verse (IMHO) that would be really clunky.

c) Ultimately I'm going to run out of these colored boxes etc - maybe even on the attributes of God alone.

Before Maverick - I've used tags in the photo app: Aperture. I can have multiple tags on one photo. If you've used Evernote, tags are the easiest and fastest way to search your notes.

Ultimately, the best solution is the kind of tags used in Evernote or on files in Mavericks. Wouldn't it be cool if I were to hover over the verse and see the tags in "instant details"?

I could do a search on "tags" and I could choose from a pick list. If several verses come up in my search, I might select another tag and narrow it even further. The stats would even show up the same as other searches in Accordance.

Accordance is a great app. I'm just suggesting an improvement that I think many customers can relate to and would enjoy having.

That's all for now.

Rick

Edited by Rick Conklin

I suspect the data structures might not allow for this, but it would be great if we could eventually search a text with something like

because @ [sTYLE bold underline]

and have it return every verse where I have underlined the word "because" with my style "bold underline."

It would even ve better if we could get the same kind of statistical results as with other searches.

Just dreamin' …

because <AND> [STYLE Important] 

gets you close.

… keeping the dream alive.

Edited by Joe Weaks