Qamats too far to the left in Ezra SIL

bdenckla

Qamats are too far to the left in Ezra SIL for me.

See screen capture images below showing no problem in TextEdit and the problem in Accordance.

post-32531-0-49407700-1383912347_thumb.png

post-32531-0-87012500-1383912347_thumb.png

This is with Accordance 10.3.2 (latest) on Mac OS X 10.9 (latest).

We don't use Ezra SIL, so I don't understand. Where are you getting the text and how are you copying and pasting it into the two programs?

Hi Helen,

Thanks for your interest in my problem. To answer you questions, the text starts as a Unicode text file (that's what TextEdit is showing) and then is imported into Accordance as a User Bible.

There are a few other similar problems with Accordance's display of Unicode Hebrew text in User Bibles in fonts other than Ezra SIL.

Not only TextEdit but also MS Word and Mellel all show these all these texts correctly. Perhaps they're all using Mac OS-provided rendering whereas Accordance does its own, slightly buggy rendering?

I can detail all these problems for you if that is helpful.

A workaround for these problems is if I could import a User Bible encoded to use Yehudit, like the BHS product seems to do. I find no instructions for how to do that. Is it possible?

Thanks.

We did not envisage importing Hebrew as a User Bible. Yes, in Unicode each program has to render the font and arrange the overstrikes for itself. Since we have beautiful Hebrew Bibles, I doubt we can invest much time in rendering Hebrew Unicode at this point. We can convert to Yehudit, but to allow users to convert to our own fonts would open a can of worms, I think, so imported Unicode Bibles stay in Unicode.

Hi Helen,

So let me see if I understand.

Accordance has an application that can convert from Unicode to Yehudit encoding, but this is not available to end users.

End users cannot directly encode bibles in Yehudit since this encoding is not publicly documented (though I bet with some effort the encoding could be reverse engineered).

Even if the Yehudit encoding were documented or reverse engineered, a Yehudit-encoded bible cannot be imported into Accordance.

Presumably all of these same issues apply to imported user tools, not just user bibles?

So the only way users can "author" Hebrew content in Yehudit is manually, via the Accordance-supplied editor?

Which means, there is no way to import (as opposed to manually enter) correct-looking Hebrew text into Accordance, be it a user bible or a user tool, since this cannot be done with Yehudit and all Unicode fonts are not rendered properly by Accordance?

Ben

Edited by bdenckla

Accordance does convert pasted Unicode into Yehudit in Entry boxes as well as Edit windows of user notes and tools. However, I don't know whether it handles the overstrike positions as well as it does in our text itself. I tested it by exporting to Unicode and reimporting and I saw just a few errors.