Removable n

Jim Poulos

Question:

I am curious about the removable n in Greek. In The Greek text in Accordance the 'n' at the end of the word is alway there regardless of the letter of the next word, constant or vowel.

I understand that the 'n' is needed only for a vowel in the next word. Is this something the Greek text chose to ignore?

Interested.

Thanks Jim P

Our Greek scholar-in-residence does not frequent these forums, but I recently corresponded with him on this subject and here are his comments.

GNT-T regularly has the final NU even when there is a consonant initiating the next word. GNT-TR follows the more classical model regularly: Only a final NU if the next word begins with a vowel, or if there is punctuation following.

The editors of NA-26 decided that consistent use of the final NU is what is to be favored by the NT writers based on KOINE usage. The TR is the Erasmus Text, which is based mostly on a few later MSS. Those later MSS, it is surmised, tended to "smooth out" the awkwardnesses (such as the use of the final NU when it was not normal "Greek" by classical standards).

I hope this helps.

Archived