Apocrypha

markusvonkaenel

I'm interested to buy apokrypha.

I see 3 possibilities

1) New American Bible, Revised Edition

2) New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha

3) Pseudepigrapha (New English)

Which of the above possibilities gives me the most complete set?

PS. I do not understand Greek, so an English Version is sufficient.

I would prefer a German Version, but I have the impression, they are not as complete as the above.

You almost certainly have the KJVA whoch is the King James Apocrypha. The Pseudepgrapha are other texts. Several of the German Bibles include the Apocrypha. Luther does for sure.

I'm also looking for Henoch, Ben Sira, 3/4 Maccabees. KJV-A has them not.

Edited by markusvonkaenel
  • Like 1

Yes, the KJVA will not contain those items. Accordance doesn't have direct control over what contents are in which module. The process is to select a print volume, then reduplicate that print volume in digital format—adding the various accouterments as we can.

Thus, in your case, Henoch (1Enoch) a Jewish Apocalyptic work has been traditionally identified as pseudepigrapha. You can find this text in Pseud-T/E.

**EDIT: In case you are unsure of the *-T/E nomenclature, any module that ends with -T indicates that it's as morphologically tagged text. As an accompaniment the -E is an English translation of said tagged text.**

As for Ben Sira and 3/4 Maccabees, you can find those in NRSV.

Edited by James Tucker

I would like to go for the NRSV. Is this a downloadable product? I see only the CD unlock method in the chart. I do not own the disc.

NSRV and Common English Bible are the only Bibles i am aware of that will have 3/4 Maccabees. I do believe the RSV should also have them but I do not own that accordance module so I cannot confirm it. Accordance unfortunately most of the time does not offer the Apocrypha when it is an option in a translation (notable missing ones are the recently released ERV, as well as TEV, God's Word, NET Bible, WEB ).

-Dan

Everything is downloadable except for a very few items that say On disk only at the top of the page.

... Accordance unfortunately most of the time does not offer the Apocrypha when it is an option in a translation (notable missing ones are the recently released ERV, as well as ... NET Bible,... ).

-Dan

Dan,

The apocrypha is a separate module from NET, i.e. the NETS (A New English Translation of the Septuagint).

NB: As Sean R points out, the translation teams for NET and NETS are different, the latter comprised of Septuagint scholars.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

Actually, NET (New English Translation) and NETS (New English Translation of the Septuagint) are in no way related (other than both being translations of Scripture)—they are provided by separate, unrelated organizations. NET is an English translation of the 66 books of the Bible (some work has been done on some of the apocryphal books, but they aren't in any of the print editions of NET nor in the Accordance edition). NETS is an English translation of the ancient Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures and includes what are popularly termed apocryphal books.

True; I did not intend to indicate that they were the same. As the full title indicates, NETS is "A New English Translation of the Septuagint." NET on the other hand is based on the 39 books of the Hebrew/Aramaic OT and the 27 books of the NT.

The desire was for Sirach, 3 & 4 Macchabees, which are in the Septuagint. Of the requests texts, NETS lacks only Enoch (which is in the Pseudepigrapha Accordance module).

Of course, NETS would also include the 39 OT books in NET, but in translation from the Greek LXX, not the Hebrew/Aramaic OT. Of the the remaining books in NETS (LXX), some would be termed apocrypha by some, deuterocanonical by others.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

Thanks for all the information. Can someone confirm, I didn't find it, that the NRSV of accordance has this books:

Tobit

Judith

Additions to Esther

Wisdom

Ben Sira

Baruch

Letter of Jeremiah

Prayer of Azariah

Susanna

Bel

1 Maccabees

2 Maccabees

1 Esdras

Prayer of Manasses

Additions to Psalms

3 Maccabees

2 Esdra​

Seems to be quite complicated, at last they are available in English, in German, it's seems to be impossible.

I can confirm all those are in Accordance… also there is 4 Maccabees… and it is not just the additions to Esther by a complete translation of the greek version of Esther.

-Dan

Thanks for all the help. Got all I wanted with NRSV.

BTW: Why is this not described on the product page?

Perhaps it is just believed to be common knowledge. I mean NRSV is so widely used even though there are many slight variations… (Typical protestant version, catholic editions with only the standard catholic books, and the ecumenical version containing all books, with introduction explaining various canons of protestant catholic and orthodox bodies). The NRSV provides all books considered scriptural by the majority of the above mentioned groups (obviously modern groups like mormons, consider other books scripture and the Ethoptic orthodox also contains 1 Enoch scripture, indeed if memory serves they are the reason we have it at all since so much of it had been lost in the wider church).

-Dan

• 6 years later...

and the Zürcher 2008 Bible has recently added the Apocrypha too.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1