Saving Time with "OR" and Multiple Tool Field Searches

Abram K-J

My most regular use of General Tools is to search them for each week's passage (that I'm preaching on) (1) by Scripture reference and then (2) by English content and/or Title. (Since the tool may have information relevant to me that is best found with one or the other search.)

It wasn't until now that I realized that you can do more than just add a second field for an "AND" search, but you can also select "OR" before you select your second field search. I know this has been there all along, but I just now noticed.

So now in one search setup (which I can save), I can have a General Tool return hits for every time a tool mentions either Matthew 28 by reference or the Great Commission in the English content... and even throw in another "or" of "Discipleship" in the Titles.

post-31802-0-84642600-1402608061_thumb.png

This will be a small but welcome time-saver for me! Passing it on in case others haven't taken advantage of it yet.

• Like 1

Great tip, Abram, thanks for sharing it!

• Like 1

Thanks, Tim! Sure thing.

So now for the million dollar question--what is the technical term for that spot where you select AND, OR, or NOT? Is it a "token"?

I think the spot is called a button, but the result is a drop down menu.

[i am sure, if I am wrong, it won't be long before someone corrects me. ;) ]

• Like 1

... which you select from the "Tools Pop-up Menu."

Those help files surely have everything about Accordance. I knew they were thorough, but didn't realize they'd even have a name for every jot and tittle (so to speak).

Thanks, D!

The doc is, for sure, generally excellent. Sometimes I wish I could find stuff a little more easily but I've not worked out a way to suggest making that easier in any case where I've had problems. Its really hard to search for a GUI artifact directly when you don't know its name ! and I don't know how to fix that. To find this thing I had to look through screen shots of search related stuff until I found one that had an annotated an image of it. But it does have lots of images in it so it is possible.

Thx

D

Well... thanks for taking the time to track it down and share!

Welcome.

And I've thought of a cool feature for the Help that would assist here - if you could search for images matching a screen shot of a GUI artifact. Of course its majorly non-trivial to set this up and its doubtless not worth it for the Help files until image matching searches become common, but it would be way cool.

Thx

D

Daniel,

Another way to help with most graphics is to use the Window > Window Help menu item.

So for this case, with the tool tabs in front, I selected Window Help and Accordance navigated to:

Digging Deeper > Study Aids: Tools and Parallels > Using Tools > The Tools Tab

Which Identified the Search Entry area:

post-406-0-01697800-1402665234_thumb.jpg

Then I clicked the link for the Search Entry area which took me to the link you attached:

Digging Deeper > Study Aids: Tools and Parallels > Using Tools > Search Entry Area: Tools Tab

Hope this helps,

Mike

Edited by Mike Garrity

I was thinking if this is a valid idea also for the iOS app.

What if I can search on the app for a english word through Entries and a scripture verse (usually an entire book) through the Scripture filter?

Hey Mike,

Nice one - that helps a lot. I didn't know this. No doubt one of the many things I don't know about Acc.

Thx

D

Ditto--thanks, Mike!

Or, at least, chalk it up to one of the many things one can have learned about Accordance but have "forgotten" due to lack of regular use...a good reminder.