"A valid book name must be entered at the selection point."

rdtaylorjr

I am trying to run a search using a Hebrew Construct, and I keep getting this error: "A valid book name must be entered at the selection point."

What does this mean?

I am not so much interested in the specific search I was trying to run as in figuring out what this error message is trying to tell me. What is "the selection point"? Why must "a valid book name" be entered there?

As a new Accordance user, I find this very confusing. Perhaps a clearer error message would be more helpful.

I just figured out what I was doing wrong (I should have selected Words instead of Verses before running the search). Now the wording of the error message seems even less relevant...

When you create a construct window, you need to link it to a Search window using the LINK command. You can do this from the Construct window by control- or right-clicking and choosing Link From from the contextual menu. You can do it from the Search window by selecting the contents of the entry box, then selecting LINK from the Enter Command submenu of the Search menu (or using the keyboard shortcut shift-command-L).

The best way to link a construct window with a Search window is to have Accordance create the link automatically. To do this, you must start with a Search window in Words mode, then hit the tab key to select the contents of the argument entry box. By selecting the contents of the entry box BEFORE you open a new Construct, Accordance assumes that you want to link the Construct to the Search window.

I hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

My Construct window seems to be linked to Search window; but when I hit the "Search" button I get the error message, "A book name must be entered at the selection point." What does this mean?

Hi Harvey,

could you possibly take a screenshot of the offending workspace and upload it here (use the more options button to access how to add a screenshot)

Are you running Accordance 10? On Accordance 9 and prior, if your search is set to Verses, it won't link to a construct properly - you'll need to change it to Words. On Accordance 10, it will change automatically, though.

Hi Joel and Ken,

I am running Accordance 10.

I'll try to get a screen shot next time I'm in OS X. (Accordance is the only program that I don't run in Windows.)