Accordance for new iPad?

Fr. Matthew Thurman

The Axiotron doesn't look like it's got touchscreen functionality, tho. It's stylus-based, and built on the shell of an existing MacBook.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It occurred to me a few days ago that the iPad would be the perfect way to hand Accordance to someone who suffers from the Windows handicap. ;)

It doesn't seem like an Accordance reader on the iPad with some basic search functionality would take a ton of resources, especially if they already have an iPhone developer working on something for the iPhone. I have a feeling iPhone OS and OS X are going to come together and be much more similar in OS 11. I don't think Jony Ives comment, something to the effect, "Really, this defines the direction for us of the future," on the end of the iPad video, was incidental. This is where Apple, and computing, is going.

One more thing: Putting Accordance on the iPad would likely bring some new customers in as well, and it would spur some current customers to buy modules they wouldn't have bought before, because now they can read those modules on the iPad. I, for one, would be more likely to purchase modules that are less reference-like in nature if I could read them on the iPad.

Bible Reader is soooo aggressively developed, and publicly so. It is a difficult product space in that regard. Still, I think leveraging the libraries that folks already have with Accordance can make a difference. Also, innovation, innovation, innovation in terms of UI and user experience is essential for a new arrival in the iPhone/iPad OS space.

One problem I anticipate is that the iPad will be in our hands in about 5 weeks and then what to do?

From day one Bible Reader will likely be ready with an app especially designed for the iPad. How long will it be before an elementary form of Accordance will be available for the iPad? We don't need much functionality to begin with, but it sure would be nice to scroll through a passage in multiple translations and see instant details.

I have already put some money into Bible Reader on the iPhone with Hebrew and Greek, some commentaries and ESV study bible. I use it all the time - not for heavy lifting, but for on the go kinds of things.

Will I continue to reluctantly add essential pieces, duplicating what I already own in Accordance just so I can enjoy the portability of another device, or will I wait for Accordance to announce something for the iPad?

Also, I agree with you Rob that John Ives meant what he said.

The iPad is the beginning of a proliferation of easier to use devices loaded with easier to use software targeted to the average person. This means that there is a large number of potential users (not scholars) that Oak Tree could add to their existing user base if they are early to get something on the market for reading that has the hallmarks of Accordance ease of use for simpler tasks.

But then, maybe they would be better off to leave these users to Logos and Olive Tree.

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking hard....

Nothing against the fine folks at Logos, but I will hold out for the Accordance iPhone/iPod/iPad app. Here's another vote in the affirmative!

In fact, put me down as a beta tester.

I have already put some money into Bible Reader on the iPhone with Hebrew and Greek, some commentaries and ESV study bible. I use it all the time - not for heavy lifting, but for on the go kinds of things.

Will I continue to reluctantly add essential pieces, duplicating what I already own in Accordance just so I can enjoy the portability of another device, or will I wait for Accordance to announce something for the iPad?

With Apple finally announcing the actual ship date of the iPad, I'm finding myself really anxious to get my hands on one - but one of the things that piques my interest the most about it is being able to use the iPad to see multiple translations at once while at church. I currently accomplish that by using my physical ESV, and getting to the GNT under Kindle for iPhone.

The problem there is that I get no helps at all with the GNT under Kindle - I'm left to remember my vocabulary myself (oh, the horrors!) and try to make sure I'm not confusing all those darn verb endings.

I started doing some research this weekend to see what options I'll have on April 3 when I unwrap my shiny new iPad, and ran across the Olive Tree BibleReader app, but I'm going to have a really hard time convincing myself that I need to spend *another* $100 to purchase those two books that I already have... I mean, I've already purchased them in hardcopy, in Kindle format, and for Accordance. Do I really need a fourth version?

I really hope that Accordance decides that the iPad is worth developing for, and makes an announcement before April 3 so I know whether to hold out, or whether I'm going to have to settle for second-best and shell out more money to repurchase titles I already own for yet another format.

OakTree has already announced they have an iPhone developer, so I think it's safe to assume an iPhone app is coming sooner rather than later. Even if they don't have an iPad specific app in the near future, you'll be able to use the iPhone app on the iPad. At least, that's what I'm banking on.

OakTree has already announced they have an iPhone developer, so I think it's safe to assume an iPhone app is coming sooner rather than later. Even if they don't have an iPad specific app in the near future, you'll be able to use the iPhone app on the iPad. At least, that's what I'm banking on.

Did I miss the announcement?

Honestly, if OakTree delivers an interactive product to the iPad/iPhone, with modules and all that we love about Accordance.....Everything will change. OakTree will have new audiences, and more money than they've ever seen before. The iTunes delivery method makes it just too easy to buy and deliver software. Remember all those times you wanted a module and wished you could download it, instead of waiting for a disc.....gone, no more. I have already way over invested in Bible Reader in modules I already own with Accordance. There is a new paradigm at Apple Inc. and it centers around the iTunes store and apps. We will only see this grow and the Mac we all know and love will be converging with it.

Accordance was the reason so many bought Macs at Seminary, let's make it the same reason to buy an iPad.

So who is pre-ordering the iPad?

This interesting concept was first brought to my attention at pcmag.com. The concept is that the ultimate threat to OS X is not Win 7 but the iphone/ipad OS.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361204,00.asp

Apple called itself a "mobile device company". That is a telling statement. Of course, the Scripture assures us that no man knows tomorrow. Jobs is telling something about what he thinks tomorrow is going to look.

If so, it makes sense for Accordance to jump the gun on this. When there needs to be beta testers, sign me up!

Frank

I'm about 95% sure I'm pre-ordering tomorrow. Wifi + 3G model. I don't have an iPhone or any data plans on my Sprint phone, so this will be my mobile data device. And my GPS. And my eReader. And how I read Accordance modules (exporting them to pdf and reading them in that format for now).

My wife is buying one. No 3G... can use her iPhone when necessary. I'm pretty sure she'll let me play with it from time to time. :)

Count me in for TWO.

I'm hearing the supply is going to be somewhat limited. Get your orders in early if you want delivery on April 3:

ipad.png

Done. Two ordered. Guaranteed delivery on April 3.

Wifi + 3G ordered. Guaranteed delivery "Late April." Also added the Apple iPad case. $39 seemed reasonable for it.

Our current household economics are such that I won't be pre-ordering, but I can see an order in the pipeline in the next six months or so.

Our current household economics are such that I won't be pre-ordering, but I can see an order in the pipeline in the next six months or so.

I am with you. I will be waiting till September or so. Hopefully, by that time Accordance will have its awesome app out.:D

I'm waiting until church finances improve, and I can buy it as a work machine. But if the iPad with a full Mac OS on it comes out before I can scrape the cash together, I won't be disappointed.

One thing I'm wondering is, can the iPad with 3G and WiFi be used as a cellphone?

One thing I'm wondering is, can the iPad with 3G and WiFi be used as a cellphone?

I cannot be used as a cell phone, but the current thinking is that skype should work.

I guess it would need a SIMM chip to be used as a cellphone.

But if the iPad with a full Mac OS on it comes out before I can scrape the cash together, I won't be disappointed.

I've said it here before, but I really, really don't think this is going to happen. Tablet PCs with the Windows OS have never been extremely popular, and I can't imagine one with the full Mac OS would be either. The iPad represents a totally new platform. Apple wants the iPad to succeed over and above what's going to initially be a very crowded field in this market. A tablet with the full OS X OS would simply detract from the iPad, and I cannot imagine them going this route. Plus, the Axiotron Modbook is available for anyone who wants a tablet with the full Mac OS.

Having said all that, it wouldn't surprise me if we eventually see touch enabled on Mac screens. Some of Apple's patents lend themselves to that, plus that seems to be the general evolution of interfaces anyway.

But I wouldn't hold my breath for a complete OS X tablet. If you want one, buy a Modbook.

Archived