Smooth scrolling

circuitrider

This is a very minor thing but I would like to see a smoother scrolling feature for the program. I think the reading experience would be improved a bit if the scrolling wasn't so "jumpy." The scrolling on the iOS is smooth while the computer version transitions from one line to the next.

Just a small thing but I it would be nice.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I would echo this sentiment. Anyway to improve this or is this just something we need to live with?

Thanks

Tom

Anyway to improve this or is this just something we need to live with?

I read somewhere that if you use auto-scroll that the text will scroll by pixel instead of by line. I have not been able to figure out auto-scroll though.

I think this is a great suggestion for those who use trackpads (an increasing percentage of Mac users). Personally, I still prefer a mouse, and my scroll wheel correlates to one line per one click of the scroll wheel. It's actually kind of nice.

I'm probably in the minority though.

What is "auto-scroll"? Is it a setting in Accordance, or System Preferences, or an App of some type?

Thanks,

Tommy

Auto-scroll will scroll the text at the speed determined by you in Preferences > Appearance.

You commnd+click on the scroll arrows to start the scrolling. However, there are no more scroll arrows in Lion. This is why I can't get it to work (i think).

I think you have an option in System Preferences to restore the arrows.

No. Only whether or not to always show the scroll bar. No arrow options.

I do not like the new scroll bars in Lion, but I don't imagine they are likely to change. They look prettier, but are not as functional or efficient. I *am* finally getting used to the new scrolling direction in Lion.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Any news on this?

In Lion 10.7.3 using Accordance 9.5.4 with a MacBook Pro trackpad the scrolling is very jumpy from line to line and there are no arrows to click on in the scroll bar to start the auto scroll.

• 1 month later...

I too would appreciate this feature. But, I do appreciate hitting the spacebar to page down. That has helped a lot!

• 9 months later...

This is not a minor issue for me. I would say that it's consistently the most disappointing part of my everyday Accordance experience. I'm guessing a whole bunch of people would notice a massive improvement in the reading experience if smooth scrolling was implemented, especially when looking at a page of Hebrew or Greek text. If I scroll a single line of Hebrew text, no big deal (although it does look clunky and dated when everything else out there smooth scrolls), but if I want to scroll a few lines of Hebrew text at a time? It takes me forever to find my place on the page.

Please, at least make smooth scrolling an option!

Thanks for listening.

• Like 2

Why not use the Auto-scroll option on the pane's gear menu?

Joel,

That is an option and I do use it at times. However, when auto-scrolling, linked tools do not keep in sync. Even when you stop the auto-scroll you have to manipulate the text to get your tools to "catch up." It is then necessary to start the auto-scroll again. It is bit clunky to do things that way.

Also, auto-scroll is more for the reading experience. When you are studying you may be going back and forth within a pericope. In such a scenario auto-scroll is not usable or feasible.

The line by line scrolling gives Accordance an antiquated feel. It reminds me of black screens and green letters. :)

Is this feature being implemented a possibility?

Autoscroll not is helpful when studying a passage. Too much skipping around in the text. Even for plain reading, I'd take smooth scroll over autoscroll.

Smooth scrolling works great on Accordance's iOs app. It's just as important to have it in the OS X version.

• Like 1

I would love to have smoother scrolling! Add my vote to the list!

I think this is a great suggestion for those who use trackpads (an increasing percentage of Mac users). Personally, I still prefer a mouse, and my scroll wheel correlates to one line per one click of the scroll wheel. It's actually kind of nice.

I'm probably in the minority though.

Scrolling through texts with a turbo mouse was frequently a little distracting and sometimes even confusing. Now that I have a new trackpad, I find it's better but I still would prefer, hands-down, smooth scrolling texts. The scrolling in iOS is refreshingly comfortable in comparison to OSX. In fact, I originally suspected that the stutter effect of line-by-line might be related to having an old, slow iMac, so I just adapted to it. I didn't realize that I wasn't alone in this until I incidentally spotted this thread.

Having a smooth scrolling text would help me more comfortably notice the changes in my "tied" tools, too, as they snap to the relevant positions for what I'm reading. What happens now is that I often, albeit briefly, lose my reading place because of all the stutter motion that line-by-line causes in addition to having the tools reposition themselves.

• Like 1

Count me in too!

Ditto. This would be a good feature.

Outis mentioned hitting the space bar to hit page down... I'm actually finding that that moves me ahead by a verse, but sometimes two verses... is this typical behavior, or is there a more efficient way to use the spacebar (or other keys) to navigate down/through a text?

• 1 month later...

Just reread this and found out that autoscroll is back in Accordance 10, which I upgraded to this afternoon. Awesome!

Also, I agree that iOS-style smooth scrolling would be fantastic.

I've been using a lot of command+down arrow now to quickly move from verse-to-verse. What is the intended use of the auto-scroll feature? Just for reading texts a chunk at a time without really stopping? It's hard to imagine being able to put that to use when working through Greek or Hebrew, when I may want to tarry with one word or verse for a longer time--or may need to if I don't know a certain word, etc.

• 1 month later...

It seems that smooth scrolling could be a feature to be implemented soon, considering that it's already included in the iOS versions.

Any response from the Accordance team on perceived importance of this feature?

How about a really slow, slow scroll, I like to read out loud and I feel I am disrespecting the text to read as fast as the slowest setting. Good feature just a little adjustment?

Thanks, steve

• 3 months later...

Accordance Team:

Thank you for implementing this in 10.2.0! It looks and feels great.