Hebrew Text Updates

Helen Brown

Two important updates are free to our users.

BHS-T which comes with the BHS Apparatus had serious missing tags. It has now been updated and is available for download through Check for Content Updates..

HMT-W4 will replace BHS-W4 as our Hebrew Bible. It is also available as a free upgrade but you need to order the upgrade, which appears in Paid Updates.

The upgrade is important as Groves/Westminster have further corrected the text to the Leningrad Codex, and the tagging is also improved. This is their release 4.16.

The BHS-W4.syntax will soon be updated and released as HMT-W4.syntax in order for it to work with the new text. You will be able to order this as a free upgrade to the BHS-W4.syntax.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update.

Here is a suggestion so others do not encounter the issue that I did. When I downloaded and installed HMT-W4, I immediately deleted BHS-W4. However, I had not changed the Preferences setting at Compare Text. As a result I got a warning dialog box that said that BHS-W4 was not installed. When you click the OK box it continually reappears. I had to Force Quit Accordance, go to Library>Application>Accordance>Modules>Texts>and double click BHS-W4 to reinstall it.

Moral of the story: Change your Preference settings prior to deleting the BHS-W4

Tony Lawrence

Just as a bit of a caveat on the BHS-W4 and HMT-W4 upgrade, as Helen says, if you have the syntax module for the BHS-W4 it will not work with the HMT-W4 module. The update is coming, but if you need access to the syntax module, don't delete the BHS-W4 (yet)!

Update: The BHS-W4.syntax is now released as HMT-W4.syntax in order for it to work with the HMT-W4. The books of Numbers and Deuteronomy have been added. You can order this as a free upgrade to the BHS-W4.syntax.

Helen,

I am a little confused ..when I ask Accordance for updates..it wants to charge me for all of them..I do not have a problem paying for them if they are needed ...I am a serious student but not sure what I would benefit by the updates...my syntax module will not update now....can you please give me some advise when you have time (no hurry)....it you think I need the "updates", do I have to go to each module and pay for a update (Accordance says I need 4 updates)....thanks for your help!

Frank

There are two types of updates, "free" and "paid" but two of the recent "paid" updates (HMT-W4 and HMT-W4 syntax) are free if you have BHS-W4 or BHS-W4 syntax respectively. You click on the url and it takes you to the Accordance website. The upgrades cost $0.00

If you add the module to your cart and check out, it will cost nothing, and the respective item will appear in your purchased items list. If you then go to Easy Install in Accordance, the new module will be there for download and installation.

If an item is a free update, simply download and install. For those you do not go through the website, adding to the cart, etc.

Sorry for the hassles, but free updates where we change the name are quite rare, and this is the only way we can handle them. It works just as Michael says, although if the update is not verified by the online website, it may need to wait for processing. There is no need to even enter credit card information when the items in the cart are free.

Can someone elaborate on why Accordance is switching from BHS-W4 to HMT-W4? Isn't Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia the standard Hebrew text? I note that, according to Accordance, the text of HMT-W4 is "almost identical" to Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia. If BHS is the standard, why switch to something that is changed, even if the included changes are deemed to be more accurate? Is there an update to BHS coming soon (similar to Nestle-Aland 28) that includes the changes of HMT-W4? Just looking for some clarification.

The truth is that our tagged Hebrew text comes from the Groves Institute at Westminster. It may have started as a text of the BHS, but for years they have been correcting it to the standard of the Leningrad Codex (on which BHS was also based), so we felt that the time has come, with the latest update from Groves, to change the name. It also helps to distinguish it from the BHS-T which is the text of the BHS supplemented, with permission, by the tagging from Groves. The BHS-T is unlikely to be updated often with updated tagging from the Institute. It does come with the apparatus.

We also offer the first fasicles of the BHQ, the Biblia Hebraica Quinta which is the next edition of the critical Hebrew Bible, with commentary, apparatus, and masorah. The text is not tagged at all, but is also not much different from the the BHS.

• Like 2

Helen, to follow up on your last comment, which Hebrew text should we be using then? From what you wrote (that since the BHS-T is unlikely to be updated) we should switch over to the new HMT-W4----correct?

Likewise, eventhough I bought the BHS-Q, I haven't found it of much use simply because I haven't made use of the limited number of books which are published in it. When it comes to keeping my highlights intact and not having to start over, what text should I use?

Personally, I'm going to use the BHS-T since it has both the morph tagging and the text-critical sigla + apparatus. Unless you're interested in, or active in text-critical work the HMT-W4 will absolutely do the job, and since it is what will be included with most (all?) scholar's bundles I imagine most people will go this route as well.

Note also Helen did not say the morph tagging in the BHS-T will not be updated, just that it will not be updated often since we had to do some tricky programming to adapt the morph to that text. Also, I believe it had been almost two years between the 4.14 and 4.16 update from Groves to the morphology; since it has been around so long it is not undergoing constant revision.

Edited by Rick Bennett
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

I have a question, and please forgive me if the answer is obvious or if it has been contained in another forum post. I started using accordance a year ago, and the only MT that I have ever used is the HMT-W4. There are two issues that I have: (1) I am in need of an apparatus, and (2) I am very interested in text-critical work on the Hebrew Bible (I will soon be purchasing the tagged SP, for example). How can I go about obtaining an apparatus, and, given Rick's comments above, please let me know if HMT is suitable fot detailed text-critical work. If not, why is it not?

Many thanks for the help!

(1) I am in need of an apparatus, and

(2) I am very interested in text-critical work on the Hebrew Bible (I will soon be purchasing the tagged SP, for example). How can I go about obtaining an apparatus...Many thanks for the help!

You can get the Apparatus for $109.99 by purchasing the following:

http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=BHS-T

"The complete text of the Hebrew Bible, following the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, with the Groves-Wheeler Westminster Hebrew Morphology 4.14. This module includes vowel pointing, cantillation marks, and lemma and grammatical tagging information for each word in the text.

The BHS Apparatus is included with this purchase, and the text is marked with the sigla for the notations in the apparatus."

Or,

http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Hebrew+Apparatus+add-on

"This bundle adds both Hebrew apparatus modules to the tagged Hebrew text. The BHS-T has both tags and sigla to mark the loications of the apparatus notation. The BHQ text is not tagged but is accompanied by the apparatus, commentary, and the minor and major Masora."

Edited by bkMitchell

If you are looking to get into Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible, I would suggest BHQ (and Oxford Hebrew Bible and Biblia Qumranica or the Accordance Dead Sea Scrolls Bundle). If you already have a print BHS, I wouldn't buy an electronic edition. The BHS is riddled with problems, both methodological and insufficient data. BHQ seeks to correct some of these issues.

In addition, you might as well as buy Tov's textbook, Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible.

If you already own the HMT-W4, I would recommend the Hebrew Apparatus Add-On (the second link posted by bkMitchell). For the same price as the first few fasicles of the BHQ (which are very reasonably priced in comparison to their print counterparts), you also receive the tagged text of the BHS and its apparatus.

While the BHS is not without its problems, it remains the standard manual edition for scholarly research. Although it will be superceded by the BHQ, it's doubtful that this project will be completed before 2020, meaning that the BHS will remain the starting point for text-critical research for some biblical books for the next several years. As far as I am aware, The Oxford Hebrew Bible Project has not advanced beyond the initial proof-of-concept stages, which would suggest that publication is years away.

I would agree with J. T. that anyone interested in the textual criticism of the Hebrew Bible should have a copy of Tov's Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible (the third edition includes the most recent assessments of the biblical scrolls from Qumran, as well as a lot of other essential information).

• Like 1

Is Tov's book something we should try to acquire as an Accordance module?

• Like 3

Hey Dr. J,

Yes, Please! I have had Tov's book on my to-purchase list for quite a while now (I have McCarter's book on textual criticism), but a Accordance version would be SOOO much more useful!

YES PLEASE!

D

We're in the process of acquiring it; no word on ETA.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

We're in the process of acquiring it; no word on ETA.

I'd like to know if this is still in the works or not?

That is certainly wonderful news!   I will definitely be getting the module!  :)