Accordance for new iPad?

Fr. Matthew Thurman

I will echo what has been said, if Accordance develops a full version for the iPad I will buy it and the iPad in a heartbeat. With iWork it would fulfill 90% of my computing needs. If it is possible I would be overjoyed!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't decided if I'm interested in iPad yet, but if Accordance were available it might push me over the edge.

But let me say I don't think we need a full featured Accordance up front. A simple e-book reader for synching already purchased modules, the most rudimentary searching and perhaps user-note synching would fine with me as a starting point. And if the Accordance code is at all modularised, I don't see why this bare bones functionality shouldn't be a doddle to put together. Do real research on the Mac, but do casual reading on the iPad. That would be a fine starting point. Maybe even an ending point, because frankly the lack of multitasking makes the iPad rather unsuitable for say, flipping between a word processor and Accordance anyway for doing real work, and is much more suitable for e-reading.

Even though iPad will not have multitasking, I'm sure it will retain the functionality of the iPhone and have a cross-app clipboard for cutting and pasting.

Even though iPad will not have multitasking, I'm sure it will retain the functionality of the iPhone and have a cross-app clipboard for cutting and pasting.

This brings up an interesting issue. On my iPhone sometimes apps pick up where I left off and some of them start fresh. For instance, with the CNN app, I might be in the middle of reading a story, but if I go out to another app and come back, sometimes it's right where I left off but sometimes it has gone back to the next screen. I don't know if this has to do with how long I'm away from the app or what--I haven't tested it.

Regardless, I wonder how this would play out on the iPad? Let's say I'm in an Accordance app on the iPad--if I left it to paste something in Pages, I'd want to come back right where I left off and the same would go for Pages, of course.

I wonder if it would be beneficial for the Accordance iPad app to have a small notepad built in, kind of like BibleWorks had when I used it in the nineties before moving to the Mac?

On another note, it would seem to me that the Accordance iPhone app and the Accordance iPad app would have to be significantly different from each other due to the different screen sizes. I could see having multiple panes and tabs in an iPad rendition of Accordance that wouldn't be possible on the iPhone.

I wonder if it would be beneficial for the Accordance iPad app to have a small notepad built in, kind of like BibleWorks had when I used it in the nineties before moving to the Mac?

Yes! Another reason why Accordance could use a full word processor.

We are thinking hard....

I'm one of those in the camp who really haven't spent hundreds and maybe even thousands on modules, but I've found that I HAVE purchased a lot of modules for MantisBible Study for my iPhone. I hate lugging my big 4 version parallel to church. The Mantis People say they are definitely working on an iPad version of their software, but I am still interested to see what Accordance would do and how.

I'm also a big fan of YouVersion, so I can't wait to see what they plan to do as well, even though I know I'm getting the wifi version instead of the 3G version of the iPad. PLEASE, I beseech you my brethren to give us something...

I really wish they would change the name of this thing...

I'm a Star Trek fan, and on Trek, they've always carried around these notepad-sized computers with touchscreen capability that are networked to the main ship's computer. They are called PADDs, Personal Access Data Device. So I rather like the name iPad. :o)

Er, or is it iPadd?

I'm a Star Trek fan, and on Trek, they've always carried around these notepad-sized computers with touchscreen capability that are networked to the main ship's computer. They are called PADDs, Personal Access Data Device. So I rather like the name iPad. :o)

Er, or is it iPadd?

And that may cause it to stick. I use a PADD interface on my iPhone as a matter of fact... (see attached photo) Can't wait to hack on a PADD interface on the iPADD.

post-9391-126480437671_thumb.jpg

Yes, a properly written ipad app will remember where it left off, which is a kind of rudimentary simulation of multi-tasking. So I'm not saying it is impossible to do "real work" on one, it would just be rather annoying for some things that involve flipping between Accordance and some other app. We had windowing OSes in the 80's and now it like we are back to DOS again with single tasking (although even they had TSR programs like Borland Sidekick that could popup any time).

Yeah I agree that a simple notepad inside such an app would potentially help, in that you could write a bunch of stuff and transfer it out in one hit. It would also be a way to transfer a bunch of stuff in (like a bunch of references to look up from another source).

Accordance on the iPad would be fantastic! I have a significant commute by train and would absolutely love to be able to use Accordance on an iPad to put that time to good use.

I'm a 15 year software development veteran and would be more than happy to help by beta testing or whatever else I can do.

It would be wonderful to see a full implementation of Accordance on the iPad.

I was looking at purchasing a MB Air or MB for presentations that I have developed on an IMac. I will definitely go with an iPad. iPhone's are great but I believe that iPads will blitz the market, and contrary to what many have been saying in the market place I do believe the iPad will cannibalise the clam shell pc market. I know many people who only have a computer for the most basic things, and now that an iPad is a choice, it will meet many people's needs in the market, and I believe it will become the product of choice for that significant segment of the market. Putting Accordance in reach of this market will only strengthen the position of the best Bible software that exists. (In the future we will no doubt see iPad Pro's that will offer a more powerful platform than is being released today, extending the reach of the iPad)

My wife will also get an iPad. She belongs to that segment of the market that uses the computer for more basic things. Being able to introduce her to Accordance implemented on a touch screen would be a joy for her, as it would for my older teenage children.

Keep up the great work,

Kind regards

Peter

Accordance + iPad = trip to the Apple Store. Period.

Having Accordance on the iPad with Browsing/Searching capability would be enough until Apple works out having multiple concurrent apps on the device. It would be just great to curl up with my most used subset of Accordance content on the iPad

We are thinking hard....

iThink Apple has really hit on to something here. With Accordance you could sit in church with parallel Bibles open and a commentary (to keep the preacher honest) and check sport scores when said preacher starts going to long....

And, as others have said, it would be nice not to have to repurchase everything.

So, don't think hard--Think Different. B)

This is a chance to really think different because the iPad is actually the beginning of a new way of thinking when it comes to how we will interact with our computers.

Blogger Steven Frank puts it the best that I have read so far when he says:

A Bet on the Future

Apple is calling the iPad a “third category” between phones and laptops. I am increasingly convinced that this is just to make it palatable to you while everything shifts to New World ideology over the next 10-20 years.

Just like with floppy disks, the rest of the industry is quite content to let Apple be the ones to stick their necks out on this. It’s a gamble to be sure. But if Apple wins the gamble (so far it’s going well), they are going to be years and years ahead of their competition. If Apple loses the gamble, well, they have no debt and are sitting on a Fort Knox-like pile of cash. It’s not going to sink them.

The bet is roughly that the future of computing:

• has a UI model based on direct manipulation of data objects

• completely hides the filesystem from the user

• favors ease of use and reduction of complexity over absolute flexibility

• favors benefit to the end-user rather than the developer or other vendors

• lives atop built-to-specific-purpose native applications and universally available web apps

You can find the whole blog here: http://stevenf.tumblr.com/post/359224392/i-need-to-talk-to-you-about-computers-ive-been (warning: some crude language in the full post)

He makes a strong case for the iPad as defining a new direction that will one day be looked back much as we see 1984 and the Macintosh.

Accordance has always set the standard for excellence in ease of use with power tools for Bible study. I am looking forward to what will come from the Accordance team.

I too would love to see support for Accordance on the iPad. I'm seriously considering one and having Accordance on it would solidify that decision for me. I'd rather not have to repurchase everything but would gladly pay a fee to get it.

Hold your horses here. If I were Accordance, I would want to make sure all the time, energy and effort that I put into making a port of my program was going to work in the devices for the long hall.

The obvious question is what is the iPad going to be in a few years from now? Meaning, will it be using the operating system that drives the Apple's computers? In other words, how long will the iPad be based on the iPhone/iTouch OS? If the answer is for a good number of years, then by all means, commit to the development of such an application. But if it is going to be the "computer of the future" and eventually be using Apples OS (which I believe it is only a matter of time, like 3 to 5 years), then I am not sure I want Accordance sinking the man-hours into something that my laptop will do for now.

I will buy the iPad not for Accordance, but for other reasons.

I say, Accordance, think long and hard about the investment needed to bring about such a product and the longevity of the device it will be on.

Tom

I'm not suggesting that Accordance be developed for the iPad so that Apple will sell an iPad. But I am saying that if there is an Accordance for iPad that lets me use the library I've already invested in for my Mac and haven't already bought an iPad, I will buy both an iPad, and more importantly for Accordance…Accordance for iPad!

"Meaning, will it be using the operating system that drives the Apple's computers? In other words, how long will the iPad be based on the iPhone/iTouch OS? If the answer is for a good number of years, then by all means, commit to the development of such an application. But if it is going to be the "computer of the future" and eventually be using Apples OS..."

80% of iPhone/iPad OS is the same as Mac OS. The 20% that is different is still of the same style, it is just graphical stuff optimised for a touch device. If anything, I could envisage Mac OS acquiring the extra APIs of iPhone if it gets a touch screen, but I doubt that iPad/iPhone is going to acquire the bits unique to the Mac. Certainly, I would bet my house they will never put Carbon UI on the iPad, which would be necessary to port Accordance as-is. More Cocoa-Mac perhaps, but not Carbon. Either way, I think both platforms are pretty much locked into what they are going to stay as, IMO.

The only question for Accordance is whether they think they can make money off it. I wouldn't want to be left behind if one of the competitors should jump into the ring, that's for sure. Well, it already is behind what with Logos for the iPhone. This could end up being a kind of must-have check-off item to compete in this space. I mean, the iPad is a reading device, and Accordance is all about books.

Yes Accordance is about books, but not primarily. It is primarily about searching the Bible. I think an iPad version would need to be able to do many or all of the search functions the computer version can do now.

As for cost, I think it would be reasonable for Accordance to charge a minimal charge for the iPad version of Accordance while also allowing the user to use all of his/her purchased modules (I would expect the latter because they already let us install modules on multiple computers that are personally owned [e.g., home desktop and laptop]). The search engine of the full version is already inexpensive, so some sort of charge for an iPad version would be reasonable. That way Accordance would make something from their man hours of production. What do you think?

"Meaning, will it be using the operating system that drives the Apple's computers? In other words, how long will the iPad be based on the iPhone/iTouch OS?"

To my mind, this is the critical question for Accordance in the near future. I've not been particularly excited about the possibility of Accordance on the iPhone: the screen is just too small for anything more than a simple reader.

The iPad is an entirely different story. I could get some serious work done on that thing, especially with a ten hour battery life (though the lack of multi-tasking on the initial model is going to be a pain). However, there are already rumors of an upcoming "super iPad" using the Mac OSX. It's entirely possible, in my opinion, now that Apple owns its own chip factory. OK, now that would have me camping outside of an Apple store.

Meanwhile, does Accordance put its resources into porting [sorry, bad word] its software to the iPad w/iPhone OS? Or implement the [many] user requests for additional features and modules for the current platform? Even if they [we] do both, in what order? Which gets priority?

Glad I don't have to make these kinds of decisions. I just have to decide which podcast to do each week! :-)

"Meaning, will it be using the operating system that drives the Apple's computers? In other words, how long will the iPad be based on the iPhone/iTouch OS?"

To my mind, this is the critical question for Accordance in the near future. I've not been particularly excited about the possibility of Accordance on the iPhone: the screen is just too small for anything more than a simple reader.

Exactly. Accordance running on an iPad with an iPhone OS is going to be radically different than it running on an iPad with a Mac OS. It sounds like an iPad with a Mac OS is in the (maybe distant) future. As tempting as it may be to jump on the current iPad bandwagon, with Accordance's limited resources, it might be better to spend the time and effort on the current program and wait for the iPad Mac OS version. Does anyone really doubt that if the iPad takes off in popularity that it wouldn't have a MacOS in some future version??!! Also, by holding off on development, it gives you the benefit of waiting and seeing if the iPad turns out to be a "iPod" in popularity or an "AppleTV" in popularity."

Tom

PS. Or Mac Cube, or Newton, or . . .

New rumors surfaced this morning about a future iPad with a Mac OS, the "MacTablet:" http://www.redmondpie.com/os-x-based-tablet-ipad-macpad-to-release-later-this-year-9140416/

New rumors surfaced this morning about a future iPad with a Mac OS, the "MacTablet:" http://www.redmondpie.com/os-x-based-tablet-ipad-macpad-to-release-later-this-year-9140416/

Of course, an OS X tablet is available now for Axiotron: http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=home

Archived