Chart for Denominational Distinctives re: Baptism? (in Accordance)

Abram K-J

This is as much a teaching question as it is an Accordance question, but it's more tied to Accordance resources than anything--I have a number of Accordance resources (theological dictionaries, IVP and Zondervan comparative studies on views of baptism, etc.), but am wondering if anyone knows off-hand of something (in Accordance) that shows, at a glance, the denominational distinctives of belief regarding baptism?

I know any of the resources mentioned above cover the topic--I'm specifically trying to find something like a one-page summary or chart that could be handed out in a teaching setting.

I can look for this myself, of course, but thought it was worth checking here to see if anyone had something that came right to mind. E.g., summary of how Baptists vs. Episcopalians vs. Mennonites vs. Congregationalists think about baptism?

My really off the cuff answer is to start with our two books that compare different views of Baptism:

Zondervan Counterpoints Series: Understanding Four Views on Baptism

http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Views-Baptism

IVP: Baptism: Three Views

http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Baptism-3%20Views

Thanks, Joel--I've checked those out now. I'm hoping to find something condensed, like a one-page summary chart that could be used as a handout for a group of folks studying baptism. I didn't see anything like that in either of those resources.

I thought to check out the Rose resources, since they tend to present information in the kind of way I was wondering about, but I don't think there's anything along explicitly theological lines in those books.

Thanks, Chuck! That's good--definitely the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you!

How does the counterpoint four views on baptism compare with the IVP three views on baptism?

I have the counterpoint module, so I wasn't sure how helpful the IVP module might be in addition.

Although I have not read the IVP book yet it appears to be more of a comparison of believers baptism v infant baptism rather than the various denominational views. The three views are:

Believers baptism

Infant baptism

Dual practice baptism (i.e. both of the above views are correct and allowed - they are equivalent alternatives)

Thank you, Steve!

I am aware of an obscure resource, one I helped to create some years ago: Confessing Christ in a Pluralist Society. It was a project for the World Council of Churches, held under the Collegeville Institute for Ecumenical and Cultural Research, Collegeville, MN. While it does not identify which denominations believe what, it is a very nice map of Christian belief overall. It identifies the beliefs that all Christians hold in common—and the various positions we hold on disputed issues.

I recently ordered a copy, with the idea that it would make a good resource in Accordance. I am still waiting for delivery. :-(

Thanks, Tim--I'll look forward to hearing what you think once you receive it.

I also found these two (print) possibilities:

This one has (#79) a chart on baptism that I was able to see using in the "Look Inside" feature.

And if/as this series by Kregel continues, it may eventually have something.

I don't know how much of a pain it is to produce charts (or the equivalent) in Accordance, but as a pastor and in a teaching setting, I'm often finding it helpful to have quick, at-a-glance, summary charts to be able to hand out, covering various topics.

To this end I've been glad to have the Rose products in Accordance, as well as the Holman Charts.

I recently ordered a copy, with the idea that it would make a good resource in Accordance. I am still waiting for delivery. :-(

It's only available in paper?

The other resources that have plenty of comparison charts are the ones published by Zondervan. There is a whole series one of which is

Charts of Christian Theology and Doctrine by H. Wayne House.

I think these could be an interesting addition to Accordance. They include OT, NT, Jesus and Gospels, Church History, World Religions, Ethics, Bible Prophecy and Apologetics.

Steve--agreed. (That House book is the first one I linked to.) Good idea!

Even though the staff probably has more than enough to work on, I'll start a new thread with a module/series request.

I'm sure the Accordance staff would love more things to do. How else will they fill up the 24 hours of the day!!

Ah... haha. Maybe I won't start a new request.

Hmmm.

I thought that might be a problem which is why I have not mentioned them before. However maybe a lot of the content could be reproduced in a different format to enable electronic reproduction to be easier. This would not be appropriate in all circumstances but a lot of the World Religion book, for instance, would not necessarily need to be in chart or table format.

I know not everyone will agree, but personally, I'd be satisfied (at least mostly) with a Charts book in Accordance that just imported the charts as zoomable/printable .jpgs. Granted, it wouldn't be searchable, so maybe that doesn't quite fit with the overall ethos and goals of how Accordance wants to produce tools.

Chuck,

Confessing Christ is currently only available in paper. Sorry. I had intended to reproduce an e-text in my spare ( :wacko: ) time.

Apparently no one on the editorial team retained a formatted copy of the electronic text. (sigh) The formatting was especially important in this case, as we indicated various denominational/sectarian views by indenting those paragraphs. The result made for a very nice map, which was intended to aid ecumenical and inter-religious discussions about Christianity.

Because, why would one want to keep a copy of a printed text? Especially editors/publishers. Who would do such a thing…

Edited by Graham Buck

Because, why would one want to keep a copy of a printed text? Especially editors/publishers. Who would do such a thing…

?

The initial prospect of working on a series of books [Zondervan Charts] with nothing but tables that we may not be able to reproduce accurately did not seem like something I was excited about, but if we were able to review the e-texts (if even available) we could make a decision based on that. I've forwarded it along for discussion; but no promises on any kind of priority at this point.

Edited by Rick Bennett

Thanks for the consideration Rick. I appreciate it might be something that is not workable but I am glad that you looking at the possibility.