Pillar New Testament Commentary

Helen Brown

If you have used this commentary in print and/or in Accordance, please review it for others' benefit, and give the module an overall rating in the top right corner by Rate Topic.

Reviewing an entire commentary series is somewhat challenging given that there are highs and lows in any series. The Pillar NT Commentaries are more even than most series due to the editorial efforts of D. A. Carson. There are some volumes that are probably my first choice such as John by D. A. Carson and the volumes on James and Ephesians.

As a NT set I would rate this as my second favorite, with the New International Commentary set being my favorite. The set is still be written, so plan to pay for future updates.

Evaluations of commentaries are subjective and based upon one’s skills with original languages and overall theology. I tend more toward evangelical and practical in my tastes.

I did do some mathematical analysis of the ratings of various commentary sets at www.bestcommentaries.com and have provided my summary below. The participants in this polling include:

· John Glynn

· D. A. Carson

· Tremper Longman, III

· Jim Rosscup

· Derek Thomas

· John Piper (Desiring God Ministries)

· R. C. Sproul (Keith Mathison)

· Denver Seminary Journal

And others…. Care should be taken in evaluating raw data such as this, and it is best to not read too much into this summary. It is somewhat interesting for those in the process of evaluating the purchase of commentary sets. Each person should evaluate each set further before purchasing. The clear winner is the New International Commentary set for both the NT and OT. I do concur with this.

I can post my excel files for anyone interested.

Bestcommentaries.com

Overall Series Rankings

As of 1/1/11

Series Rank Comments

OLD TESTAMENT

New International Commentary 1

Baker Exegetical Commentary 2 Only 3 volumes

Tyndale Commentary 3

NIV Application Commentary 4

New American Commentary 5

Word Bible Commentary 6

Anchor Bible Commentary 7

Hermeneia 8

Exegetical Bible Commentary 9

NEW TESTAMENT

New International Commentary 1

Pillar NT Commentary 2

Word Bible Commentary 3

Baker Exegetical Commentary 4

NIV Application Commentary 5

New American Commentary 6

Tyndale Commentary 7

International Critical Commentary 8

Anchor Bible Commentary 9

Edited by jfidel

"Hermenutica 8" Do you mean Hermeneia?

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the volume on John (by D.A. Carson) extensively in personal study, the volume on Colossians and Philemon (by Douglas Moo) in my Greek Exegesis class, the volume on Hebrews (by Peter O'Brien) while leading a church Bible study, and the volumes on James and the letters of John a bit less. The PNTC is not as technical as Hermenia, WBC, or the GNTC, but more so than Tyndale. I like this series because it spends less time on technical issues (like textual variants) and more time on exegesis. Also, the authors of each volume take the text at face value - they don't offer hypothetical reconstructions of the previous form of the text to explain away some difficulty. The series engages with some recent discussion and delineates the pros and cons of common interpretations on difficult passages or theologically important passages. Not as readable as Tyndale or other commentary series aimed at exposition, PNTC is a bit larger than those and probably my first choice when I run into a question in the text. I highly recommend the volumes on John and Hebrews.

• 8 years later...

I have used the volume on John (by D.A. Carson) extensively in personal study, the volume on Colossians and Philemon (by Douglas Moo) in my Greek Exegesis class, the volume on Hebrews (by Peter O'Brien) while leading a church Bible study, and the volumes on James and the letters of John a bit less. The PNTC is not as technical as Hermenia, WBC, or the GNTC, but more so than Tyndale. I like this series because it spends less time on technical issues (like textual variants) and more time on exegesis. Also, the authors of each volume take the text at face value - they don't offer hypothetical reconstructions of the previous form of the text to explain away some difficulty. The series engages with some recent discussion and delineates the pros and cons of common interpretations on difficult passages or theologically important passages. Not as readable as Tyndale or other commentary series aimed at exposition, PNTC is a bit larger than those and probably my first choice when I run into a question in the text. I highly recommend the volumes on John and Hebrews.

Bob, I agree with your assessment.  I also use the John (by Carson), but, and I may catch some heat for this but I still use Obrien's Ephesians and Hebrews commentaries.  The PNTC is the commentary I use the most because they are easy to read, and if I want more technical info., the footnotes are incredible.  Also, the information before you ever get to the commentary on the verses are full of valuable insights from historical, contextual, and theological nuggets of gold.  

Garrell

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, I agree with your assessment.  I also use the John (by Carson), but, and I may catch some heat for this but I still use Obrien's Ephesians and Hebrews commentaries.  The PNTC is the commentary I use the most because they are easy to read, and if I want more technical info., the footnotes are incredible.  Also, the information before you ever get to the commentary on the verses are full of valuable insights from historical, contextual, and theological nuggets of gold.  

Garrell

You should not be using O'Brien.  But since I'm such a nice guy, you can just ship them to me so you don't have to worry about it anymore.  ;)

• Like 1

You should not be using O'Brien.  But since I'm such a nice guy, you can just ship them to me so you don't have to worry about it anymore.  ;)

Let me Befranks, I will be keeping my hard copies, and wish I could get the electronic copies of everything he has written.  Particularly his book on "Introductory Thanksgiving in the Letter of Paul".  This is an amazing book that give details regarding how each of Paul's letters give an outline of his letters.  

Garrell

Let me Befranks, I will be keeping my hard copies, and wish I could get the electronic copies of everything he has written.  Particularly his book on "Introductory Thanksgiving in the Letter of Paul".  This is an amazing book that give details regarding how each of Paul's letters give an outline of his letters.  

Garrell

I agree brother, my original post was a joke - enjoy the riches of these volumes!  :)

I agree brother, my original post was a joke - enjoy the riches of these volumes!  :)

Yes, I know.  I find his works very good.  Thanks.