Treasury of Scripture Knowledge

George Lozano

Any chance of getting the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge as an Accordance module? The Accordance Cross-References are good, but TSK has many, many more cross-references, and they are typically tied to certain words in the principal verse. I believe TSK has no copyright.

• Like 1

Our Cross References have more not fewer references than TSK, but I agree that the TSK references are linked to specific phrases rather than to the verse.

TSK is now in the public domain, but the current etext is not, and we have not been able to get a license for it. It would be a very difficult and costly project to etext it again, as the printed copy is tiny and cryptic and there would be many scanning errors.

Helen,

Forgive my ignorance, but what qualifies as e-text? Text, html, pdf files available on the internet as public domain, or something different?

Thanks.

Etexts exist in many forms, HTML, ASCII text, word processing or desktop publishing files. PDF files may be text or they may just be images of the pages.

My point is that considerable work is needed to prepare an accurate etext for a volume like this, and those who do so retain the rights to their work. Even when the etext is made freely available on-line for individual users, there are often restrictions on its use for commercial purposes. This is separate from the need to arrange a license to use the contents of a text that is not in the public domain, i.e. still under copyright.

Thanks for the insight. I have a bit better understanding of and appreciation for what you do in trying to make new tools available to us.

Let me just say as a fairly new user that I have found both this forum and the new blog invaluable. I find myself reading something here or at the blog and then after going back to Accordance saying to myself "Oh, I see." Notwithstanding my statement above, I still desire certain works, but in time they may come.

Thank you all. I hope I can get to Wheaton. I live in the Chicago area, but I'm just not sure about the timing.

• 8 months later...

As a substitute for TSK, if you have a printed copy, you can compare the printed TSK to the Accordance Cross-References. You'll find that Cross-References does in fact have many more cross-references listed (as far as I can tell it always has all the entries from TSK), and using the printed TSK can put them in their proper context in relation to the verse you are studying. While not exactly what George was asking for, this can give you the best of both worlds: the organization of TSK with the greater number of references in Cross-References.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

I know this is an old topic, and I know that the module has been discussed in other threads:

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8509&hl=%2Btreasury+%2Bof+%2Bscripture

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3544&hl=%2Btreasury+%2Bof+%2Bscripture

I also know that offers some good cross-references. But I find myself bouncing between the ESV cross-references which seem to be too few and the Cross-references module which often seem to have too many and not all relevant. I guess I am like Goldilocks who is looking for porridge that is "just right." :)

Recently, I noticed that OliveTree is now advertising TSK: http://olivetree.com/store/product.php?productid=16680

I would like to suggest perhaps that this module be revisited.

Hmm, don't know what to make of this, and it certainly isn't my area, but TSK on StudyLight.org says...

Copyright Statement
These files are considered public domain and are a derivative of an electronic edition that is available in the Online Bible Software Library.

Bibliography Information
Torrey, R. A. "Commentary on Genesis overview". "The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge". "http://www.studylight.org/com/tsk/view.cgi?bk=0&ch=0".

and justverses.com has it as a downloadable zip file (tab delimited)

and on Bible Analyzer.com it has this statement

The original Treasury of Scripture Knowledge is in the public domain. This greatly enhanced and expanded edition is protected by a derivative copyright to ensure its free and open distribution. Thus permission is granted by the copyright holder to allow this text to be used under the following conditions,

• This text, including any additions or improvements that may be made to the text, must be distributed free of charge.

• If this text is in any way encrypted or placed in a proprietary format, it must also be provided separately, with any additions or improvements, in an open format, by the same party (by download is sufficient)

• The text can be bundled with items that are sold (CD-Rom, etc.) on the condition it is freely offered separately, with any additions or improvements, by the same party, in an open format (by download is sufficient)

• This copyright notice must be included with all distributions.

In essence, this license states the user can use this text in any way they see fit as long as they freely provide the text, with any additions and/or improvements, in an open and easily accessible format (txt, SQLite, or any other readily accessible format), and include this copyright notice with every distribution in any form. If the user cannot abide by these terms, then no license is granted.

PS. I am posting this as a "private citizen" not as an employee of Accordance...
Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

This is the first we have heard of the Bible Analyzer version, and it certainly seems worth looking into. Until now we were aware of the Online Bible version which we offered briefly in the 1990s but had to withdraw when copyright was claimed for it. Thomas Nelson has reprinted the TSK but licensing negotiations with these large publishers can be very slow.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Very encouraged by Ken's posting above. While Accordance does indeed have an excellent Cross-References module, TSK would be a great addition.

• 1 month later...

I would like very much to get a TSK module for accordance as well.