Accordance crash moving a workspace from Win 7 to Mac

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

I believe this is supported (or supposed to work) but please let me know if not.

I took a workspace I had saved on my Win 7 machine (Acc 10.4.5b1) to Max OSX 10.9.3 with Acc ver 10.4.3.2 (10.4.3.5683)

I shutdown Accordance, put the workspace file FlashcardsV2.accord in the Accordance Files/ directory and restarted Acc. I then Opened the workspace with File -> Open ... The screen scrolled a pane or two to the right - I use 6 MC desktops - the screen was mostly blank white letterboxed by a grey border. Then the little rainbow coloured wheel spun for a bit then the screen cleared as Acc crashed. I got a crash report which has headed to Apple. This looks like the key bit :

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'CALayerInvalidGeometry', reason: 'CALayer position contains NaN: [nan nan]'

Application Specific Backtrace 1:
0 CoreFoundation 0x9106e471 __raiseError + 193
1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x9300c091 objc_exception_throw + 162
2 CoreFoundation 0x9106e38b +[NSException raise:format:] + 139
3 QuartzCore 0x93db4d30 _ZN2CA5Layer12set_positionERKNS_4Vec2IdEEb + 190
4 QuartzCore 0x93db4c6d -[CALayer setPosition:] + 55
5 QuartzCore 0x93db6895 -[CALayer setFrame:] + 807
6 AppKit 0x9b6d69ae -[_NSFullScreenTransitionOverlayWindow positionLayers] + 1848
7 AppKit 0x9b6d74f8 -[_NSFullScreenTransitionOverlayWindow startEnterFullScreenAnimationWithDuration:completionHandler:] + 39
8 AppKit 0x9b6d94c4 -[_NSFullScreenTransition _startFullScreenTransitionForCGWindow:targetFrame:duration:completionHandler:] + 297
9 AppKit 0x9b6d9af8 -[_NSFullScreenTransition _startEnterFullScreenTransitionForCGWindow:targetFrame:duration:completionHandler:] + 343
10 AppKit 0x9b6db62a __89-[_NSFullScreenTransition _performEnterFullScreenModeAnimating:activating:customWindows:]_block_invoke383 + 1658
11 AppKit 0x9b058a05 ___sendFullScreenMessageToDock_block_invoke + 222
12 libxpc.dylib 0x94fb6295 _xpc_connection_reply_callout + 46
13 libxpc.dylib 0x94fb621b _xpc_connection_call_reply + 32
14 libdispatch.dylib 0x9a3a7386 _dispatch_client_callout + 50
15 libdispatch.dylib 0x9a3afa7b _dispatch_main_queue_callback_4CF + 294
16 CoreFoundation 0x90fc7fbe __CFRUNLOOP_IS_SERVICING_THE_MAIN_DISPATCH_QUEUE__ + 14
17 CoreFoundation 0x90f7f3d9 __CFRunLoopRun + 1897
18 CoreFoundation 0x90f7e9fa CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 394
19 CoreFoundation 0x90f7e85b CFRunLoopRunInMode + 123
20 HIToolbox 0x993c8b5d RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 259
21 HIToolbox 0x993c88e2 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 526
22 HIToolbox 0x99413aca AcquireNextEventInMode + 75
23 HIToolbox 0x995639da _AcquireNextEvent + 58
24 HIToolbox 0x99551324 RunApplicationEventLoop + 225
25 acord 0x000572ee acord + 353006
26 acord 0x000031ea acord + 8682
27 acord 0x004f6bb6 acord + 5200822
28 acord 0x00003085 acord + 8325

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9106edc7 ___TERMINATING_DUE_TO_UNCAUGHT_EXCEPTION___ + 7
1 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9106e770 __raiseError + 960
2 libobjc.A.dylib 0x9300c091 objc_exception_throw + 162
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9106e38b +[NSException raise:format:] + 139
4 com.apple.QuartzCore 0x93db4d30 CA::Layer::set_position(CA::Vec2<double> const&, bool) + 190
5 com.apple.QuartzCore 0x93db4c6d -[CALayer setPosition:] + 55
6 com.apple.QuartzCore 0x93db6895 -[CALayer setFrame:] + 807
7 com.apple.AppKit 0x9b6d69ae -[_NSFullScreenTransitionOverlayWindow positionLayers] + 1848
8 com.apple.AppKit 0x9b6d74f8 -[_NSFullScreenTransitionOverlayWindow startEnterFullScreenAnimationWithDuration:completionHandler:] + 39
9 com.apple.AppKit 0x9b6d94c4 -[_NSFullScreenTransition _startFullScreenTransitionForCGWindow:targetFrame:duration:completionHandler:] + 297
10 com.apple.AppKit 0x9b6d9af8 -[_NSFullScreenTransition _startEnterFullScreenTransitionForCGWindow:targetFrame:duration:completionHandler:] + 343
11 com.apple.AppKit 0x9b6db62a __89-[_NSFullScreenTransition _performEnterFullScreenModeAnimating:activating:customWindows:]_block_invoke383 + 1658
12 com.apple.AppKit 0x9b058a05 ___sendFullScreenMessageToDock_block_invoke + 222
13 libxpc.dylib 0x94fb6295 _xpc_connection_reply_callout + 46
14 libxpc.dylib 0x94fb621b _xpc_connection_call_reply + 32
15 libdispatch.dylib 0x9a3a7386 _dispatch_client_callout + 50
16 libdispatch.dylib 0x9a3afa7b _dispatch_main_queue_callback_4CF + 294
17 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x90fc7fbe __CFRUNLOOP_IS_SERVICING_THE_MAIN_DISPATCH_QUEUE__ + 14
18 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x90f7f3d9 __CFRunLoopRun + 1897
19 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x90f7e9fa CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 394
20 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x90f7e85b CFRunLoopRunInMode + 123
21 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x993c8b5d RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 259
22 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x993c88e2 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 526
23 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x99413aca AcquireNextEventInMode + 75
24 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x995639da _AcquireNextEvent + 58
25 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x99551324 RunApplicationEventLoop + 225
26 com.OakTree.Accordance 0x000572ee 0x1000 + 353006
27 com.OakTree.Accordance 0x000031ea 0x1000 + 8682
28 com.OakTree.Accordance 0x004f6bb6 0x1000 + 5200822
29 com.OakTree.Accordance 0x00003085 0x1000 + 8325

I can PM you the file if you need it.

This is completely reproducible with that workspace.

I should perhaps note that when the workspace was saved it was on the attached monitor (2nd screen on the laptop) and I only have one screen on the Mac. I tried resaving the workspace on Win 7 while it was maximised on the main laptop screen and transferred this over to the Mac. No change. Still fails in the same way.

Incidentally my User Tool explaining how to use the FlashcardsV2 workspace transferred fine and can be opened in Acc without incident. But having done this much did not help the workspace which incidentally opens this tool.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

OK so perhaps this is not supported or not supported yet or ....

I have just tried creating a workspace and moving it from Mac to Win7 and attempting to open the ws on Win 7 I just get an empty grey workspace window.

I'd love to know if its planned to support this as ultimately I'd like to see the sync support sync workspaces.

Thx

D

Daniel, I use the same workspaces in both Windows and Mac: they are saved to Dropbox folders and open fine on either machine. Sometimes I have some issues with how they fill the screen, but I think this is related to having two very different screen sizes, and I've learned to correct it quickly. I only have one monitor per machine, though, so I didn't immediately respond. How are you moving the workspaces? Are you sure you have all the needed resources on both machines?

Thanx for the response Lorinda. I had forgotten that people were sharing workspaces using DB. Of course - so this should have worked. In any case I was pretty sure people were downloading workspaces from the exchange and I did not recall hearing issues with it.

Hmmm....

OK so this is my Flashcards workspace which uses a Greek text - usually LXX1 or GNT28-T both of which are on both machines. In addition it uses a User Tool which I wrote on the Windows box (mostly perhaps completely). That tool has always sync perfectly between both machines. What I was trying to do was prepare a ZIP file for upload to the exchange and so I ZIPped (on Win7) the workspace, the user tool one Wordpad-constructed RTF text file containing the installation instructions, and the LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet. I've previously transferred the spreadsheet and so did not expect any issue there but was going to install the whole bundle on the Mac and try it out. Hurdle one was loading the workspace. I initially thought dropping the user tool in with the ws at the same time would result in Acc asking where it was located but alas it never got that far.

Finally I did sync before this. Let me see if its the ZIP process. Perhaps that is not solid between the platforms. I'll try that once I've repaired the irrigation pipe I just broke !

Thx

D

Want to send it to me to try here too Daniel?

Hmmm.... ok more data.

I tried an unzipped copy - no difference.

Reducing the size - un maximizing the window stops the Mac Acc from crashing on attempting to open the workspace. But it does not in fact open. So it looks like something else disagreed with it.

I then create a plain vanilla WS on Win 7 with just an ESVS tab and the library, not maximized and located on the laptop's main screen, called TestWS.

I transferred this to the Mac without zipping as I was just moving the ws. It open fine but .... its top border was hidden by the top of screen toolbar on the Max .... "odd" thought Pooh. So I went back to the Win 7 box and reopened TestWS and moved it down the screen a bit and saved it again. Transferred it to the Mac. Reopened and it opened fully visible a little further down the screen. Yay!

I went back to the laptop and tweak the window sizing on the FlashcardsV2 ws moving it down the screen and moving it over a bit and shrinking it. Save it. Move it to the Mac and tried to open it. No dice. Acc. stayed up but the WS would not open. "My User Tool ! " thought Pooh, Piglet looked doubtful.

I went back to the Win 7 box and opened TestWS and added my Flashcards README User Tool to it and saved it again, transferred it to the Mac (sing along if you're got it by now ) and went back to the Mac. Tried to open TestWS. Acc stays up but no dice, the workspace does not open. I do not know why but I am suspicious that the UT cannot be found because the reference in the WS is Win specific and does not find the UT on the Mac.

I tried just opening the UT on the Mac a new WS so it knew where it was. Still no good the WS will not open.

So has anyone successfully transferred a workspace and a user tool between platforms with the UT referenced and open in the WS ?

Thx

D

Want to send it to me to try here too Daniel?

Hi Ken,

Sent it to you. Thanx for taking a look.

Thx

D

Hmm.. I don't know about transferring UT and workspaces, but the workspaces I use do reference user tools, and open fine on both systems. Now the user tools are syncing via Dropbox, but before DB sync was available on Windows, I just made sure I had UTs with identical names on each machine. Originally, I copied them from my Mac to the wimdoes machine, then let them develop separately.

Ok so further testing shows this is a bit complicated.

I believe some of the problem stems from having had an existing workspace and user tool of the same names on the Mac. I disposed of them perhaps without adequate care before then copying over the new ones from the PC. I had expected that I would install the new ws and then I would be prompted on its being opened for the location of the User Tool. That didn't happen because I believe some preference may have already thought it knew. I tried a simple ws and user tool creation and copy from the Win box to the Mac and that did behave in that manner. But in that case both the WS and UT were unknown on the Mac before the copy.

I am not clear exactly what information is kept in the other pref files but I can see the file and workspace names in some of the prefs files. And I am speculating to a degree here because I do not know what the code does.

I will be very interested in seeing what happens with Ken's test because I suspect it may work.

As to cleanup, I believe I need to delete the WS and UT from the library removing the files at the same time. I believe I have to do this via the library but if anyone knows of another way please let me know. I hope that this will remove the additional information that I believe exists. I have tried that but I was only partially successful. I was able to open the newly recreated WS and restored UT transferred from the Win box. I say restored because deleting a UT is a sync'able operation and so resync'ing via DB deleted the tool. I had anticipated this but it's something to be aware of if one gets into this state. I will try another pass on cleaning up the Mac WS and UT. I am loathe to delete my prefs files as that will result in various setups being lost I expect.

On the PC both the WS and UT work fine again.

On the Mac they work but I cannot save (or Save As) the WS without getting the following message :

post-32023-0-49058800-1411319077_thumb.jpg

The name I am trying to save it to is the file I opened (transferred from Win) so I would have expected the save to work. My guess is other metadata around thinks the file is in use by or for something else but I do not know what.

In any case, if anyone can confirm or deny any of the above that would help me understand better what I've done.

And Ken if you do have a chance to the test I would be interested in the outcome.

Thx

D

BTW, I was also able to transfer the WS fully maximised and it did open. MC scrolled to the Acc desktop and the WS opened in full screen mode. I hit escape and it was ok. Of course that's when I discovered the save problem because I wanted to save it un-maximised.

Thx
D

All of them crash my mac. I don't have time just now to check on my PC, but will have a look tonight.

Thanx for trying Ken,

Does the stack trace match mine above ? Its probable that the screen size thing is a real bug if it does. The UT should be irrelevant to that - I'll have to do a test and if it is then spin off that issue in a separate topic.

Thx

D