Highlights searching

Gedalya

Is there a way to search for my highlighted texts in Tools modules?

Yes, the [sTYLE ?] command with the abbreviation of your style or an * to find them all.

• 3 months later...

Can I search for all of my highlights in all of my modules at the same time?

You can use [style ?] in a search all.

Thx

D

Daniel,

When I use "search all" as you suggest,I get results but I don't see the actual yellow "highlights" that I used to highlight the words. If I do a search in an individual module, I do see the Yellow highlights on the words that I highlight.

Yeah I noticed that as I did a quick test before running out the door. It seems it is not highlighting hits in the body of the text. I think I saw highlights on content in headings. In any case I think this is a bug but someone at Oaktree would need to comment. At least for now though, you get the modules that contain the particular highlight - maybe that is of some use as you can double click on the resource in the search all results which will open it in another tab doing the search again in that resource, there highlighting the hits properly.

Thx

D

Daniel,

Thanks for tip about double clicking on the search results to see the highlights!

Welcome - glad it helps.

Tx

D

The Search All results pane does not display the text with all its characteristics. This is because it pulls in text from different kinds of modules. We have improved it already in many ways, and more improvements are in the works. However, you will always get the most out of the module when you examine the search results in the module itself, with a double-click on the name.

I am just now getting the hang of "styles" and searches. e.g. I created a style for "prayer". It works pretty nice to use [sTYLE prayer].

I'm leaning toward making these kinds of topical highlights / styles marked in "white" (invisible) because I might have more than one for a given verse. Multiple colors can get overwhelming.

So, may I suggest an enhancement? Would it be possible to display the style-name of my highlight in the instant details? That way if I'm on a given verse, I'll already know the style I've given it.

On the other hand, maybe I'm the only one who would find this useful and not worth the effort.

Thanks for listening.

Rick

• 6 months later...

Is there a way to search all my highlights in specific commentaries for a specific range of text in the Bible? I think it should, but when I enter this:  

[RANGE Psalm 22] <AND> [sTYLE *]

I get no results. What's wrong with the query syntax? 

post-634-0-31985700-1427098021_thumb.png

Edited by Guntis

Is there a way to search all my highlights in specific commentaries for a specific range of text in the Bible? I think it should, but when I enter this:  

[RANGE Psalm 22] <AND> [sTYLE *]

I get no results. What's wrong with the query syntax?

It worked perfectly for me. I double checked it by clearing any highlight styles in that range and then running it again and of course it failed then.

The [style *] trick works but it would be nice to have highlights in the tools list on iOS. I think that would be much more accesible for the regular user. Also it would be cool to be able to change the order of the the tool categories (English, Greek, …)

Even searching All Tools doesn't fetch anything.

post-634-0-87257800-1427105194_thumb.png

Edited by Guntis

Even searching All Tools doesn't fetch anything.

I have found that searching all in the research box is finicky. Could it be that it thinks you want the actual English text that you have in the search box?

Have you tried changing the search type to reference? I ask because that is what you're actually looking for is a reference.

Edited by rpavich

By the way; when I do the search [RANGE Psalm 22] <AND> [sTYLE *] in "all" and "scripture" range in the research box, I can crash accordance every time.

Accordance Crash Log

Program Version: 11.0.4

OS Version: 10.10.3

Call trace:

$9441E0A7

$9946415C

$94437650

$94423A59

$944231BC

$9944C2FF

$9213804C

$92141697

$99495D6E

$99495CB0

$99486FD9

$99486E5B

$92138918

$92138523

$922E61D4

$922D3BDA

$0005D8EA

Edited by rpavich

Yes, my app also crash when I do this…

The RANGE command is only used in texts and for word searches there, it will not work for commentaries and this is why it won't work with tools or the Scripture field. If you want to search for the highlights in a range of a commentary you must set the range in the Table of contents (browser) of that tool.

Thank you for explanation!

What I want to do is to search a certain set of commentaries which have user highlights. For example, I've read a lot of commentaries on Psalm 22, and have highlighted some texts there. How can I find them now?

Enter [sTYLE *] (or replace the * with a specific highlight style)  in the Research Search Entry box and limit your search to "English" and "Commentaries. Accordance will find all your highlights.

Note: Research now marks the last character of the paragraph in which the text is highlighted as a hit, not the highlighted text itself. Use" Open" to dis[play the paragraph with the Highlight.

Simply clicking on "More" expands the context, but does so in the Research tab, which does not currently display highlights.

I'm afraid this will be of no help as it will fetch all highlights throughout the commentary. And I have hundreds of highlights in several commentaries. I need highlights only for Psalm 22. Is there a way to filter out only those?

I'm afraid this will be of no help as it will fetch all highlights throughout the commentary. And I have hundreds of highlights in several commentaries. I need highlights only for Psalm 22. Is there a way to filter out only those?

After you search and have "hits" isn't there a command to search through just THOSE hits?

I thought that there was.

And PS: once you find them..it might be a good idea to highlight them with some unique highlight while you are working with them...something you wouldn't use on anything else. Something specific to that passage.

Edited by rpavich

I highlighted two words in a commentary, then I searched for that highlight style; then searched the resulting hits for the words and it seemed to work.

Would this approach work for you?

post-33196-0-15801700-1427132928_thumb.png

Edited by rpavich

I'm afraid not, Guntis, as you would then be searching two separate data fields simultaneously. That isn't currently possible, though we have discussed adding it sometime in the future.