Search Question

jarcher

Can someone please explain to me why the following contruct does not return the first instance of the use in Rom. 10:3? Does the "within" relationship depend on word order? If so, can I change this in my construct?

Thanks

BTW, if you'd like to change my username to 'Jeremy Archer' that would be fine.

post-211-1148607891_thumb.png

Jeremy,

The word order is why it doesn't return a hit. In the text the words will be in the order you put them in the construct. The solution to that is to use two constructs joined by an "OR" statement. Then you'll get the results you're looking for. HTH.

Robb,

Thanks for the help. That is certainly useful to know and seems like there should be BIG NOTICE about that since word order is so flexible in NT Greek. I couldn't find anything in the manual about it either. Regardless, thanks for the help!

Robb,

Thanks for the help. That is certainly useful to know and seems like there should be BIG NOTICE about that since word order is so flexible in NT Greek. I couldn't find anything in the manual about it either. Regardless, thanks for the help!

Yes, it's worth quoting: "Unlike the argument in the search entry box, the elements in a construct are always sequence-specific." (page 10-5 of the Version 6.3 User's Guide, but not yet in the 7.0 Help).

Robb's constructs appear to have used "1" for the WITHIN interval, since I get 18 verses for the same search with 5 words as the connecting interval.

For this particular search, you could also have entered this non-order-specific query in the search box:

dikaiosunh <WITHIN 5 Words> "qeou"

Short cut: <WITHIN ? Words> can be entered with command-shift-w.

Some searches you can only do in the Construct window (particularly those involving grammatical [dis]agreement or specific positioning), but many complex searches are easier in the search box with the items in the Search menu (which include sequence constraints like <FOLLOWED BY> and <PRECEDED BY>).

I actually didn't specify anything "within" so that would have left "1" as the default. Later I went back, specified 5, and got the same number of verses as J.P mentioned.

David's blog entry on using constructs was really helpful on knowing when to use one and when to use the search argument entry box. He wrote,

"The time to build a graphical search is when you need to define word relationships which are more sophisticated than simple Boolean relationships. Specifically, you would build a construct when you:

need to specify agreement among search terms

need to specify items which may or may not appear between your search terms

have so many different search terms and relationships to define that seeing everything laid out will make your search easier to understand."

The full post is here: http://www.accordancebible.com/blog/archiv...01_archive.html

Thanks for the help. I didn't realize that "WITHIN' will behave differently on the command line vs. the construct window. Ever consider allowing for a negative number in the range for the WITHIN parameters? Or maybe my inexperience with the Accordance search methodology this is just shining through...

Peace,

Jeremy Archer

Archived