Your last visit/view new posts

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

For the last several days, every time I check in on the forums, the top line says "Your last visit was Setember 28..." I know this is wrong, as I've checked in every day since then, sometimes more than once.

This started happening about the same time that I discovered the "view new posts" link. Never mind it's been staring me in the face for months, somehow I missed it. I was thrilled to find an easy way to check out new posts without scanning the forum list. But now, when I click "View New Posts," all the posts since September 28 show up, and are marked unread, even if I've read them (while logged in) before.

Other changes in my computer I'm aware of since then are:

1) I subscribed to the rss feed

2) I cleared my browser (firefox) cache a couple of times

I haven't changed my cookie settings to my knowledge, and I'm still logged in automatically.

Any ideas what I need to do to correct this?

Thanks!

Sorry about the lateness of my reply.

I'm not sure entirely why this is happening, though I'm certain your problem isn't alone. I've found that the boards only catch the posts I look at about 80% of the time. What I personally do after going through the posts is click the "Mark All Posts as Read" button near the bottom, which seems to keep me clear. As to some solutions to your problem:

1) Have you tried it on Safari? Does it still not record you visiting?

2) Are your cookies disabled in Firefox? That could be why its not remembering things.

3) Does visiting the forums in your account on another computer also not register?

Lets see if we can narrow this down some.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I tried Safari tonight and the same thing happens. (I thought I'd tried it earlier, but the fact that I had to log in would indicate I haven't done so)

The same thing happens in another user account, regardless of whether I use Safari or Firefox.

I haven't had a chance to try to do another computer, but will try that soon.

What I did discover, however, is that if I click on the "mark all posts as read" button, and then click on "view new posts." I get an error message (because there are no new posts.) This happened even after I quit one browser, started another, and logged in. It still says my last visit was Sept 28, but there are no new posts anymore. (This will provide me a workaround until we can get it figured out). Previously, if I read the new posts, the show up as read during that session, but they come back up as unread the next time.

Prior to Sept 28, I had not experienced problems with the date of last visit or (to my memory) with the flagging of read/unread messages.

I just logged into the forums on another computer--all old iMac running system 9; I used iCab as the browser. I logged in, read a post, left for another site, returned, still the old September 28 date.

Also, I forgot to answer your question about cookies. I do not have cookies turned off in Firefox, and my cookie manager shows a series of cookies from accordance.com.

Archived