Linking from user tool to CF-NPN1

Fr. Matthew Thurman

Something I've been trying to figure out, but to no avail. I have a user tool that I use for sermon preparation following the Orthodox Sunday lectionary for the year. What I would like to do is link to the relevant homilies of St. John Chrysostom on a given pericope in the Nicene/Post-Nicene Fathers, vol. 1. I haven't figured out the correct format to add a link that will do this. Could someone provide an example w/ a screenshot? Thanks.

This one is tricky because it's hard to find something unique to search for. For example, if you wanted to link to Chrsysostom's 4th homily on Matthew, you could try something like this:

[CF-NPN1, Titles, Homily IV]

But this will get you a lot of other 4th homilies, some by Augustine as well as all the ones by Chrysostom on different books.

Another approach would be to search the Scripture field for the text the homily is on, like this:

[CF-NPN1, Scripture, =Matthew 1:17]

Note that I use the equals sign to search for explicit references to Matthew 1:17. Without the equals sign, this search would find any Scripture reference which contains Matthew 1:17, such as Matthew 1:16-20.

Yet even with the equals sign this is not specific enough to get you to C's 4th homily on Matthew, since there are other references to Matthew 1:17 throughout CF-NPN1.

Your best bet is to look for some unique text in the body of the homily and search for that:

[CF-NPN1, English Content, He hath divided all the generations]

This link works because it searches for the phrase at the beginning of C's 4th homily on Matthew, which is unique enough to avoid false hits.

I hope this helps.

[CF-NPN1, Titles, Homily IV]

[CF-NPN1, Scripture, =Matthew 1:17]

[CF-NPN1, English Content, He hath divided all the generations]

Hmm. I cut and paste each of these examples, tagged them as links w/ command-L, then received an "invalid link" error message when I attempted to update my user tool. Thoughts?

I've found that if the returns are included in the link, Accordance hiccups. Try de-linking all of them, then selecting each one and making it a link.

Let me know if this doesn't fix the problem.

Archived