#1 Darin Allen

Darin Allen

Gold

• Accordance
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Technology, Coffee, Gaming
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

A question was asked on Twitter about the possibility of having a Hebrew text display verbs in different colors than the rest of the text. A search for all verbs is the best way to do this:

1) Make sure your Search Text is set to a grammatically tagged Hebrew text, like the BHS-W4.
2) Make sure you are set up to search for "Words" instead of "Verses" in the top-left corner of the window.
3) From the top menu, choose Search < Enter Tag < Verb...
4) Don't select anything from the drop down boxes, just click "OK" right away. This will set up a search that will find all the verbs in the Hebrew Bible
5) Run the Search

Posted Image

By default, all your search results will show up in red. Since all verses should have at least one verb in them, you should be able to read everything in context without any additional work. Feel free to add a parallel English Bible if you like.

Edited by Darin Allen, 07 March 2012 - 01:10 PM.

• PastorDavid likes this
Darin Allen
Director of Marketing

#2 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

Neat tip, Darin, thanks!

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#3 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,428 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

You can also go an extra step and create a Highlight style for verbs and highlight them all. This remains there as long as highlighting isn't hidden. We once tried to create a Highlight file with all the parts of speech highlighted in different styles in the text, but it got too slow back then. It certainly can be done for a smaller section like a book. You will need to consult the Help files to learn how to do this.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#4 fmcfee

fmcfee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study...I am an active member of KI (Chuck Missler ) and seek to understand and apply the Bible to my life...I bought Accordance to help with my original language studies..I would like to be able to understand what the writers meant to say (I realize there are multiple meanings in the same verses)..not just depend on a translation...

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

A question was asked on Twitter about the possibility of having a Hebrew text display verbs in different colors than the rest of the text. A search for all verbs is the best way to do this:

1) Make sure your Search Text is set to a grammatically tagged Hebrew text, like the BHS-W4.
2) Make sure you are set up to search for "Words" instead of "Verses" in the top-left corner of the window.
3) From the top menu, choose Search < Enter Tag < Verb...
4) Don't select anything from the drop down boxes, just click "OK" right away. This will set up a search that will find all the verbs in the Hebrew Bible
5) Run the Search

Posted Image

By default, all your search results will show up in red. Since all verses should have at least one verb in them, you should be able to read everything in context without any additional work. Feel free to add a parallel English Bible if you like.

Darin,
Thanks for that tip..any idea how to display the Hebrew text (BHs-W4)without the cantilation marks? I have checked all the preferences..

Thanks
Frank

#5 Darin Allen

Darin Allen

Gold

• Accordance
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Technology, Coffee, Gaming

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

Darin,
Thanks for that tip..any idea how to display the Hebrew text (BHs-W4)without the cantilation marks? I have checked all the preferences..

Hi Frank,
I believe removing the cantillation marks is only possible when exporting Hebrew text.
Darin Allen
Director of Marketing

#6 fmcfee

fmcfee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study...I am an active member of KI (Chuck Missler ) and seek to understand and apply the Bible to my life...I bought Accordance to help with my original language studies..I would like to be able to understand what the writers meant to say (I realize there are multiple meanings in the same verses)..not just depend on a translation...

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hi Frank,
I believe removing the cantillation marks is only possible when exporting Hebrew text.

Darin,

I was afraid of that....I a beginner at Hebrew and the cantillation marks are a distraction...

Thanks for replying...
Frank

#7 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

You can export without the cantillation marks, as Darin pointed out above, and you can also export without the vowel points, thus creating an consonantal text—which is apropos for a beginning student. It's hard work at first, but I like to make a pdf of my current book of study (right now Lamentations) and read a consonantal text with a audio file that I acquired from Academy of Ancient Languages. The iPad works great for this.

Edited by James Tucker, 09 March 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#8 Elijah

Elijah

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

You can also go an extra step and create a Highlight style for verbs and highlight them all. This remains there as long as highlighting isn't hidden. We once tried to create a Highlight file with all the parts of speech highlighted in different styles in the text, but it got too slow back then. It certainly can be done for a smaller section like a book. You will need to consult the Help files to learn how to do this.

In the accordance 10 help you find it under:

Digging Deeper > Color Highlighting > Highlighting Words and Verses > Highlight Hit Words

I use it to highlight words that are not in my learning list (that occur 1-9 times) and words that have forms I'm not familiar with yet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hebrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users