finding all the hits

csonni

When selecting a word, etc. in a passage, and then clicking on a User Tool or Reference Tool, I see the number of hits and the particular word highlighted in red. Is there any other way of quickly finding all the "hits" without dragging through the entire document looking for all the words highlighted in red? Hope I made that simple enough.

To find all the hits in a Reference or User Tool, is scrolling the only option for finding all the hits highlighted in red or is there a way to bring them all up together?

The Mark buttons will jump from hit to hit. You can also select the other options in the Show menu towards the top right of the window. Depending on the structure of the specific tool you may prefer to see Articles, Paragraphs, or Paragraphs with Titles.

Thank you, Helen. A big help.

Seems to work great with numerous hits, but when I have just a few, using the mark buttons only brings me to a couple of them. For example, I select "own image" in Genesis 1:27 and I am told there are 4 hits in the Henry Reference Tool,, but all I can visibly see with the mark button is 2- Genesis 5 and Exodus 34. None others, yet there are 4 hits.

The number of "hits" is actually the number of words that were found. Since you are searching for a two word phrase, each occurrence registers as two hits.

That explains it. I'm just learning all these piddly things.

csonni,

The meaning of the "hits" count takes all of us awhile to get used to.

To illustrate how it works, a search in the NRSV for:

time <WITHIN 8 Words> day

finds 58 hits in 29 verses. The results look like:

Ex. 34.21 Six days you shall work, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even in plowing time and in harvest time you shall rest.

Since no verses have the word "time" or "day" occuring twice within 8 words of the other, the count total is exactly double the verse count.

But change the search to:

time <WITHIN 9 Words> day

and the result is 66 hits in 32 verses. The inflated number of hits is because two more occurence of the two terms within 9 words of each other occurs in one verse.

2Cor. 6.2 For he says,

Archived