list of what words occur with a given word

A. Smith

Im wondering if there is a way to to generate a list of what words occur with a given word. For example, a list of what words complement sarx. Also, is there a way to use analysis to graph this and also the grammatical details (for example xxx word appears with sarx in the gen most often, but yyy appears with it in the dative). I know I can just search for the word and manually sort through it, but I'm wondering if Accordance, in its awesomeness, can automate this for me a bit. Thanks.

As I write this I'm thinking that a construct search could probably do something like this but I'm having trouble figuring out what that would look like. Thanks for any help.

Hi ya,

Are you doing this in a Greek or an English text ?

Thx

D

Greek

Ah ok so then here are some thoughts then. I have not tried these yet but this is where I would start I guess.

If you have the syntax module you may be able to find a syntax relation for some words in that and build a construct around that. I haven't looked yet but that would be interesting.

Failing that a simple construct ensuring that sarx and the unknown related word were within X words of one another could be done, to which I would then try adding things like the below. I would restrict the type of associated word in the construct doing adjectives, verbs, nouns separately.

- for adjectives, agreement in gender and number. Agreement in case could be added but you miss genitives which you might want.

- for verbs related to sarx I would restrict the case of sarx to either an object (accusative) or subject (nominative, except in the case of infinitives)

And some verbs will take a direct object in the dative so its more complicated but you could cross check by quierying verb <within X words> sarx and see if that indicates issues.

- you can once you have several separate searches, link them all together with <OR>s so you can get a fairly complete result set, but I would start with individual cases.

Your value for the <WITHIN x WORDS> will help you weed out false results but you will have to play with it to see how it goes. And some constructions may be hard to find, if they exist, for example, appositional use of sarx would be trickier unless you have the syntax module.

I'll see if I can try some examples tonight and see what they look like.

HTH

D

Here's an example based on the above ideas.

post-32023-0-45738700-1409191750_thumb.jpg

Thx

D

Maybe this is too simplistic, but you could just find all nouns that appear in the same verse with σαρξ. I don't know if you're going for a strict grammatical relationship or just word association.

Search for σαρξ <AND> [NOUN].

Now do Word Count Totals Analysis. Sort by "Count down" and set Count = Number. Here are the top 10.

σάρξ flesh, meat, body, sinful nature = 131
πνεῦμα (πνέω) wind; breath; spirit, Spirit = 33
θεός god, God = 25
Χριστός (χρίω) Christ = 25
Ἰησοῦς Jesus; Joshua = 14
νόμος law, principle = 12
αἷμα blood; bloodshed = 11
ἐπιθυμία (ἐπί, θυμός) desire, lust = 9
ἡμέρα day, lifetime, time period = 9
ἁμαρτία (ἁμαρτάνω) sin, sin offering = 8

To list grammatical details, open another Word Count Totals Analysis tab and do Customize Display. Sort: Alphabetical. In column 1 of the table at the bottom, drag Case underneath the LEX, so both are in column 1. Now you have an alphabetical list of all the words, and the count of each case.

Nominative = 10
Genitive = 8
Dative = 9
Accusative = 6

To filter the results, go back to the first Analysis tab, turn off root and gloss words in the options, and set Count to None. Now it just lists the words. Select the top 10 and copy.

Modify your search by appending @( )

and paste between the parenthesis. It adds the commas automatically.

σαρξ <AND> [NOUN] @( πνεῦμα, θεός, Χριστός, Ἰησοῦς, νόμος, αἷμα, ἐπιθυμία, ἡμέρα, ἁμαρτία)

So now your search is limited to only the words you chose, and the second Analysis tab, which lists the case of the nouns, shows only these words.

[NOUN] @( πνεῦμα, θεός, Χριστός, Ἰησοῦς, νόμος, αἷμα, ἐπιθυμία, ἡμέρα, ἁμαρτία) (146 total words)

αἷμα blood; bloodshed = 11
Nominative = 4
Genitive = 2
Dative = 1
Accusative = 4
ἁμαρτία (ἁμαρτάνω) sin, sin offering = 8
Genitive = 7
Accusative = 1
ἐπιθυμία (ἐπί, θυμός) desire, lust = 9
Nominative = 2
Dative = 5
Accusative = 2
ἡμέρα day, lifetime, time period = 9
Nominative = 2
Dative = 5
Accusative = 2
θεός god, God = 25
Nominative = 4
Genitive = 15
Dative = 3
Accusative = 3
Ἰησοῦς Jesus; Joshua = 14
Nominative = 2
Genitive = 5
Dative = 1
Accusative = 6
νόμος law, principle = 12
Genitive = 8
Dative = 3
Accusative = 1
Nominative = 10
Genitive = 8
Dative = 9
Accusative = 6
Χριστός (χρίω) Christ = 25
Nominative = 4
Genitive = 12
Dative = 2
Accusative = 7

Edited by Darin Franklin

I'm sorry. I've been busy in other things. I'll get back to this on Monday. Thanks!!