typing in Rosetta

Ken Han

Have you tried typing something in Rosetta? It's a great hassle. With MSS or Sylvanus one can click the characters in the Characters palette, but with Rosetta, I'm assuming due to its special nature, normal keyboard strikes are not entered into the edit window. So, for example, to type "a" with a macron on top, one needs to type "a" then open the Character palette, either press the macron symbol or, close the Characters palette, and press option-q.

This is fine if I only need to type one character, but what if I have to type out a transliterated word from a commentary I'm reading? I need to repeat opening and closing the Character palette for EVERY single letter because there's no way of using the keyboard while the Character palette is open. And unlike the Highlight palette there's no option to toggle it into a normal floating window. I think it'd be helpful either to make the UI consistent with the Highlight palette, or make it possible to type something directly inside the Characters palette and copy and paste into the edit window, or find some other way to make this less of a hassle.

Ken

This is a good point, Ken. When we tweaked the character palette it was in mind for the quick reference or obscure character entry. But, for entering extended sequences in Rosetta, I can understand the desire to keep it open. I doubt this change will make it into 10.0.5, but we'll keep it in mind. Thanks!

Ken, the challenges of typing transliteration aside, have you tried simply selecting the word you want to transliterate and choosing Copy As --> Transliteration from the Edit menu? It's a heck of a lot easier than transliterating something yourself.

David, thanks! I actually never thought about it, and I agree it's a perfectly suitable method, provided that Accordance and the authors use same system of transliteration (which, I assume probably is the case).