Using Mellel with Accordance

timothylfox

Hi everyone,

I've been using Mellel to write a paper for a Hebrew class. If I need to insert something in Hebrew or Greek, I've just been typing it into the search box in Accordance then copying and pasting it (with my settings set to "export as Unicode"). I'm doing this to make sure that my professor can read my paper even if she does not have the same fonts that Accordance uses, or that I am using in my paper.

Here's my question: Is there a better way to do this, so that I can type directly into my paper in Unicode, in full assurance that it will display properly on my professor's computer? Can I do it with a font that will use the same keyboard layout as Accordance (perhaps Yehudit? I've become used to typing with Accordance's keyboard, as I'd hate to have to learn two different keyboard layouts for the same language).

Thanks!

Tim

Tim:

To answer your question, yes, there is a better way. By using Mellel, you are are on the right track to curing your Hebrew woes.

Here's what I would do. Download a Hebrew Unicode Keyboard Layout or you can activate the already installed Hebrew Layout in System Preferences > Language and Text > Input. You can assign a Keyboard shortcut to change the input. For example, I assigned control-spacebar to shift between Syriac, Greek, Hebrew, (American) English, and (Canadian) English. Once you've done this, you can assign a second font in Mellel for a specific language. I've assigned SBL Hebrew as my second font to render the Unicode.

Now, the Hebrew fonts via input are not mapped the same as Yehudit. So, you will need to learn a new layout. The great news is that once you learn the new layout, you don't need to remember Yehudit layout, for you can input through the Hebrew Keyboard into Accordance, and Accordance accepts the input. Nice, eh? I say this to answer the most important question: Unicode is a more efficient way to maintain Hebrew in your doc, even as it's shared across computers, operating systems, and hardware.

Feel free to ask any clarifying questions.

While I don't care for the aesthetics of SBL Hebrew or SBL Greek, I do use them. There is good reason to use them, as they are a standard font in Biblical Studies. If you are ever considering polishing that paper for submission to a journal, editing fonts will least likely be an issue.

James, thanks for your input here, as this topic interests me greatly. In my Language & Text -> Input Sources I see three Hebrew keyboard layouts: Hebrew, Hebrew - PC, Hebrew - QWERTY. Which of the three do you recommend? Does it make any difference? For Greek I've used Greek Polytonic and it does seem to make a real difference from Greek input.

I've often thought Mellel handles Hebrew writing / editing much better than Accordance. I wish Accordance / Mellel would get together / license the Mellel engine.

James, thanks for your input here, as this topic interests me greatly. In my Language & Text -> Input Sources I see three Hebrew keyboard layouts: Hebrew, Hebrew - PC, Hebrew - QWERTY. Which of the three do you recommend? Does it make any difference? For Greek I've used Greek Polytonic and it does seem to make a real difference from Greek input.

I've often thought Mellel handles Hebrew writing / editing much better than Accordance. I wish Accordance / Mellel would get together / license the Mellel engine.

The layout all depends on your personal preferences. I would recommend opening the Keyboard viewer in each of the Layouts and see what seems to be more intuitive for you. (By the way, you can also download more from Tyndale House.)

Regarding Accordance and Mellel, I don't understand what you mean.

Edited by James Tucker

Wow thanks for your help!

So - if I use the SBL Hebrew (Unicode), will others have to have this font installed in order to see it, or will the unicode "kick in" and allow them to read it, even without SBL Hebrew?

Thanks!

Tim

If you share the document file with someone who doesn't have SBL Hebrew installed, their word processor will default to another font which is able to display the unicode glyphs.

Edited by James Tucker