Kindle on the iPad

Julia Falling

Hi Julie:

I use Kindle on my iPad quite a bit. I don't really do any annotation or highlighting, but it seems to be pretty easy to do these things. As far as the aesthetics, I think it looks pretty nice. I usually use the black background with white letters. I would caution you, though, about purchasing anything that is rich in graphics. I have found that almost without exception illustrations, maps, charts, graphs, etc. are pretty blurry. But I have found this to be true with Apple's iBooks app as well. But if you like your experience with Kindle on your iPhone, you'll like it as much or more on the iPad.

Hey, all

I'm getting ready to buy a particular book, available for iBooks and Kindle, and I am leaning toward iBooks because that app allows you to change fonts, and the overall book-ish UI is more appealing to me. But, that is almost outweighed by the multi-device advantage of Kindle (e.g., Kindle, iOS, Mac, etc).

One more big advantage for me is that you can copy and paste in iBooks. You can't copy text in Kindle--at least in the Mac and iPhone version. At least, as far as I've been able to figure out.

One more big advantage for me is that you can copy and paste in iBooks. You can't copy text in Kindle--at least in the Mac and iPhone version. At least, as far as I've been able to figure out.

Hi Dan:

How do you copy and paste in iBooks? When I highlight text I get only the options for dictionary, highlight, note, or search.

Kindle dose not allow direct copy but if you high-llight something and sign onto the kindle website you can copy and paste off the web site.

-dan

PS: I know it was a different Dan you asked but I never realized you could copy off ibooks either.

Thanks for the info, Dan. That's good to know. I'm still wondering about iBooks, since I can't figure out any way to copy and paste from an iBook.

Thanks for the info, Dan. That's good to know. I'm still wondering about iBooks, since I can't figure out any way to copy and paste from an iBook.

Steve

Kindle dose not allow direct copy but if you high-llight something and sign onto the kindle website you can copy and paste off the web site.

-dan

PS: I know it was a different Dan you asked but I never realized you could copy off ibooks either.

Dan, where on the website can I find my highlights?

I enjoyed reading books in the Kindle app on the iPad so much that I bought an actual Kindle last week. I can have the same books on both devices which is nice. For extended reading, the Kindle device is better than the iPad, but it's easier to add notes on the iPad.

On the iPad itself, although I like the layout of books in iBooks better, I mostly buy books for the Kindle/Kindle app. Not only are there more selections, but I can even view the books on other devices including my Mac (and add notes there, too).

Copy and paste in iBooks works only in public domain works.

Copy and paste in iBooks works only in public domain works.

Not true. I have purchased (NOT free) books, maybe 5 or 6--not a lot. However, I am able to copy and paste from all of them on my iPhone4. It may depend on the book, but I am definitely able to copy and paste from commercial books. You just select your text and then have to wait a few seconds for the little black menu options to appear.

Not true. I have purchased (NOT free) books, maybe 5 or 6--not a lot. However, I am able to copy and paste from all of them on my iPhone4. It may depend on the book, but I am definitely able to copy and paste from commercial books. You just select your text and then have to wait a few seconds for the little black menu options to appear.

That's not been my experience. I just tried from one recent book I bought, and neither the iPad nor the iPhone would let me copy text.

photo.PNG

It may depend upon the publisher though. Of the books I've tried, only public domain ones allow copy. Which commercial books of yours allow you to copy text?

On a couple of occasions when I wanted to copy more text from a book on the iPad than I cared to retype, I have taken screenshots, emailed them to my Mac, run the OCR over it in Acrobat and then copied from that. Not ideal, but it usually can be done fairly quickly.

I much prefer the Kindle Reader app on my iPad over the iBooks app. Finding a book you want to buy to read is so very hard in iBooks! It doesn't even let you do something as simple as eliminate books not in English. Plus, whenever I stumble across a book I want, iBooks doesn't have it. Since I'm not doing research, I don't need copy and paste. Apple really needs to make a stronger effort to get more books into the iBooks store - and to lower their prices to Amazon levels.

Archived