Search for participles that are subject complement

Marco V. Fabbri

This post applies to Greek.

Some searches in the GNT-T.Syntax require the use of the Greek Construct Window.

A good examples is a search for participles that are subject complement, that is for participles that are nominative, and are Complement to the verb εἰμί or other verbs that allow for a nominative complement.

The search can be set up in this way:

1. Open a new Search Text Window and set it to GNT-T
  2. Set the search to Words (not Verses)
  3. Set it to search in every Book (as opposed to Verse, Clause or Sentence)
  4. Open a new Greek Construct Window
  5. In the Greek Construct Window, drag the Clause element and drop it into the first column
  6. When prompted, choose "Dependent clause only", and choose "complement" as the type of the dependent Clause, then click OK
  7. Drag the Verb element and drop it into the first column
  8. When prompted, choose Mood: Participle; and Case: Nominative, then click OK
  9. Hit Return, or click the blue Search button.

The Search Text window with its Greek Construct will look like this image:

post-76-083162400 1319998227_thumb.png

However, this search will find all Nominative participles that are part of a Complement Clause. It will find Participles that are Subject Complements in periphrastic conjugations, but also any supplementary Participle that is Nominative.

If I want to restrict the search to anything that falls outside of the Complement Clause that has a Participle Verb, I will need to make my Complement Clause part of a Predicate Phrase.

Suppose that I want to find periphrastic conjugations that include εἰμί as finite Verb.

I will need to set up the search as follows:

1. Open a new Search Text Window and set it to GNT-T
  2. Set the search to Words (not Verses)
  3. Set it to search in every Book (as opposed to Verse, Clause or Sentence)
  4. Open a new Greek Construct Window
  5. In the Greek Construct Window, drag the Phrase element and drop it into the first column
  6. When prompted, choose Predicate, then click OK
  7. Drag the Lex element and drop it into the first column of the Predicate Phrase
  8. When prompted, type eimi, then click OK
  9. Drag the Clause element and drop it into the second column of the Predicate Phrase
  10. When prompted, choose "Dependent clause only", and choose "complement" as the type of the dependent Clause, then click OK
  11. Drag the Verb element and drop it into the first column
  12. When prompted, choose Mood: Participle; and Case: Nominative, then click OK
  13. Just below the blue title that says "Greek Construct", click "Search both directions"
  14. Hit Return, or click the blue Search button.

The Search Text window with its Greek Construct will look as below:

post-76-028101100 1319998180_thumb.png

Archived