Expositor's Bible Commentary

Helen Brown

Have them eat the ones they've outgrown. That way you won't have to buy new ones. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know if the new EBC-R will include the Introductory Articles of the classic EBC? I suppose so, but would appreciate a reliable information. I hope that Accordance will have the "full package" in the upcoming OT module.

From the developer who is slaving over this text:

The introductory articles included are those found in the Revised edition. In some cases, these are simply updates of the original. In other cases, they are replacements. I think it depends on the book. Here is the text of the Preface germane to the question:

Some of the commentaries in the EBC have been revised by the original author or in conjunction with a younger colleague. In other cases, scholars have been commissioned to offer fresh commentaries because the original author had passed on or wanted to pass on the baton to the next generation of evangelical scholars. Today, with commentaries on a single book of the Old and New Testaments often extending into multiple volumes, the need for a comprehensive yet succinct commentary that guides one to the gist of the text’s meaning is even more pressing. The new EBC seeks to fill this need.

He confirms that we hope to have this all ready by the end of the year.

Thank you Helen.

For the sake of clarification, I was referring to Introductory Articles in Vol. I of now classic EBC written by Bruce, Metzger, Waltke, Fee and other outstanding scholars. Hope to see those in Revised. Maybe my question wasn't straightforward enough, I apologize. Thanks again and thank you A. team for your hard work.

Thank you Helen.

For the sake of clarification, I was referring to Introductory Articles in Vol. I of now classic EBC written by Bruce, Metzger, Waltke, Fee and other outstanding scholars. Hope to see those in Revised. Maybe my question wasn't straightforward enough, I apologize. Thanks again and thank you A. team for your hard work.

I browsed the contents of all the PDFs supplied from Zondervan, and briefly their website, and I do not see where these Introductory Articles are. Unfortunately, it looks like they removed them from this edition.

Sad they seem to have been removed, glad i have the original with them in.

-Dan

Looking here it seems that the introductory articles are absent from volume 1 (Genesis to Leviticus)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENESIS-LEVITICUS-Expositors-Bible-Commentary/dp/0310230829/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_9

It is rather sad that they have not been included, more sad that they have not been expanded/updated.

I have the Expositors in Logos and the Revised Expositors in Accordance. I am thinking of just going ahead and getting Expositors for Accordance as well. I imagine they will be pulling it off the market soon. Zondervan is good about making old things disappear. @@ I am waiting for the December sales to come out. Does anyone know if the old Expositors might just possibly be going on sale? I can get the price reduced on a crossgrade but if there was a really good sale, even if the crossgrade would save me a few dollars, I would just do the sale price and be happy. :-)

We have permission to continue selling the Classic EBC indefinitely, but no plans to put it on sale any time soon.

• 4 weeks later...

When will we receive the EBC-R for the Old Testament? The notice said before 2013. Just curious. Thank you in advance.

It will likely extend into Jan., but we're working hard to get it done asap. See also this reply in another thread.

It will likely extend into Jan., but we're working hard to get it done asap. See also this reply in another thread.

Thanks Rick; very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading somewhere that someone had written a course based on the introductory articles from the original EBC. Is there a course outline or syllabus available? I'd be curious to see it.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Will Accordance ever offer the individual volumes of this set? Being that he EBC-R does not contain the Vol. 1 Introductory Articles it would be nice to purchase it separately from the entire EBC set.

• 3 months later...

Helen,

I'd like to revive this thread to ask a clarification on something that's been touched on by others already. Other than the introductory articles in EBC, is there a practical reason one might want to retain the EBC alongside the EBC-R? Or does the very fact that it's been revised imply that the latter is more up-to-date (or more whatever …) than the former?

I just don't want to have unnecessary duplication in my Library.

Thanks.

There are different authors for some of the commentaries. I use both the EBC and the EBC-R. Yes, there is overlap, but sometimes the content for a given Bible book is completely different. Watch Dr. J's podcast, #81. He lists some of the changes in authorships.