iPhone

teambeck

I can't speak to the technical feasibility of porting Accordance over to the iPhone/iPod Touch, and I can't comment on the allocation of programmer resources towards development of a port versus new features on OSX. What I can say is this: having a version of Accordance on a portable device that comes bundled in some form with the OSX software enhances the appeal of Accordance in general. As a parish pastor, I do prefer to have tools for biblical study availabe to me on the road. This is true to the point that I am interested in Apple's potential relase of a sub-compact notebook that would free me up to use Accordance in a more portable way. While some more in-depth forms of biblical study might not lend to a coffee shop or hospital lobby, weekly exegesis of lectionary texts does happen in such places. Perhaps there are current Accordance users who fit this pattern and perhaps it is representative of a potential market. Either way, I am all for development of some sort of port over to the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Rev. R. Fletcher

Seattle, WA

I'd like to second Ryan's comments. I don't own an iPhone yet, but I will in the next year or two. I currently lug around a Palm Pilot and a Razr cell phone. The Palm Pilot has a Greek NT, the NRSV, a Bible Atlas, and a Bible dictionary, plus some of Luther's writings. I use the Palm regularly in Bible class. It's actually faster to look up Scripture passages in the Palm than in a bound version of the NRSV. I would love a version of Accordance running on the iPhone.

I'd like to second Ryan's comments. I don't own an iPhone yet, but I will in the next year or two. I currently lug around a Palm Pilot and a Razr cell phone. The Palm Pilot has a Greek NT, the NRSV, a Bible Atlas, and a Bible dictionary, plus some of Luther's writings. I use the Palm regularly in Bible class. It's actually faster to look up Scripture passages in the Palm than in a bound version of the NRSV. I would love a version of Accordance running on the iPhone.

Actually, Accordance is available for a handheld, kinda. GMPSoft offers Oak Tree morphology on their Greek NT. Perhaps suggestions should be made to them to port their product (since it is already in existence) to the iPhone.

Actually, Accordance is available for a handheld, kinda. GMPSoft offers Oak Tree morphology on their Greek NT. Perhaps suggestions should be made to them to port their product (since it is already in existence) to the iPhone.

I just searched their website and could not find the Oak Tree morphology of the Greek NT, could you put the link to where you found it at? I am not even seeing a GNT on their website for purchase, just translations with strongs numbers. In some of the screen shots I am seeing it, but nowhere to purchase it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey - My husband and son both have iPhones. I have an iPod touch. We're very happy with our gadgets. We've all "hacked" our devices, though. They're not unlocked - we have no beef with AT&T and will probably stick with them even after our 2-year contract is up. However, we wanted some of the applications that Apple did not offer, and I wanted to be able to edit iCal on my iPod. We went to http://jailbreakme.com/ and added the applications we wanted. You can get a KJV for your iPhone/iPod touch there. In addition, with the eBook application plus a freeware program called CyberDuck, anything you have in html format can be loaded onto your touch device wirelessly. If you want your document to have its contents in the correct order, chapters or sections must be numbered. Default is alphabetical. Our son wrote a program to streamline the process that will parse a html document, separating it into individual chapters that can be accessed on an iPhone/iPod touch without having to scroll through preceding chapters.

Since the iPod touch can only use web apps where there is a wireless signal available, having a non-web based app is the way to go. The iPhone can access the web wherever there's a phone signal, though the Edge network is noticeably slower than a wireless signal.

We'll have to wait until next year to find out what Apple is going to offer in the way of applications and what they're going to cost. Because of the changes we've made, we haven't installed the latest updates on our devices - they don't fix anything but only mess up what we've got. If Apple has any sense, they'll open the touch devices up to 3rd party applications the same way they did dashboard to all the widget developers. It seems logical that increased utility would lead to increased sales. It also seems logical that making customers angry by artificially restricting applications would not lead to increased sales.

I really don't see a need for Accordance on the iPhone/iPod. Since I got a 20" monitor for my dual G5, I find myself using my laptop less and less for Bible study, much preferring the generous amount of real estate of the 20". There is no way I'd squint and scroll through the program on the small screen of my 'touch.

Just a word of caution. If you do use the jailbreak site, be warned that it is VERY possible and even likely that any updates you try to install from Apple will turn your shiny iPhone into a shiny paper-weight.

I own an iPhone and its stock... My wife loves it. For me, I have a second generation BB Curve that I have for work.

Just be careful.

Tom - Thanks for the warning. The main risk, according to our son, is that updating will erase all the extras we've installed. I don't think hacking poses the same risks as unlocking (the phone). The unlocked phones will become $400 (or $500) paperweights. The hacked phones and iPods just lose the extras if updated. My husband lost the apps he had installed with the first iPhone update. The guys worked together to get the stuff reinstalled and neither of them has updated since. Our son checked into all this - he got a masters in computer science in May and really knows his Macs.

Hey Julie.. The warning was really for those who might read this later on. They may not be so fortunate to understand the difference of hacking apps or unlocking the phone.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used iPocketBible for the iPhone for only a few days. My phone is with me when a Bible is at home or in my car. Text reads very well. I also am pleased with the "bookmark" and "highlighting" features. Sometimes I want a Bible right now. So far so good.

My Powerbook with Accordance is usually nearby when I am on my own real study time.

By the way

Archived