After trying to update ESV/ESVS/KM... Accordance won't open

David Foster

This morning I had my accordance open working fine... then the update box popped up with 3 small updates, the ESV, ESVS and KM something (I forget the title). I clicked update but then a couple of minutes later it came back with a message I've never seen before saying that it couldn't complete the request/update. I then closed it and then closed Accordance.

This is what it looks like when I open accordance:

When I reopened it, the only thing that came up was a box saying it can't find the ESVS... and the Accordance file that it gave (the one in My Documents) didn't have the ESV or ESVS... only a bunch of texts and tools I don't use, and all grayed out.

This is what the texts folder looks like:

Accordance Files (My Documents) - Texts.tiff

I then tried searching the Application support files in the Library folder but all of the texts there were greyed out as well...

So I'm still stuck without accordance.

The only thing I did last night before I shut it down was delete my caches and then update my Time Machine... but I can't see how either of those would have effected it... plus like I said, it was working this morning.

Thanks, Dave

I think you need to close the popup window asking for the ESVS etc.

Then, try Update again (or Easy Install). What I see on your images is that the file is gone.

Hans

Edited by HansK

Thanks Hans, I did that but the updates came up empty... and the Easy Install just came up with the same old list that it always does (I think any module containing texts/tools that I have deleted?)... I really would love to know how to get rid of those as well... but that's another issue.

So ya, nothing in the update window and no ESV in the easy install...

PS Here's a picture of the easy install window... with the content that never goes away!

Easy Install Screen.tiff

Try removing the Startup Session from User/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences, then restart Accordance.

That should get you past the requests for opening the ESVS.

Then, in Accordance, open up the Library and remose the ESVS and any other items Accordance said it couldn't find earlier. When Accordance asks about moving the files to the trash, tell it not to.

Now click the + sign in the library and in the Open dialog that appears, locate the ESVS (and other items, if needed) and select them.

Does that work?

Lorinda

Thanks so much... it didn't work though. But I included a screen shot of where I was just to make sure I was looking in the right place....

Accordance Preferences.tiff

PS- It also said my mobile notes are no longer available???

Did you not find a Startup Session file there?

Is the ESVS your default search text?

PS--if you convert screenshots to pngs before attaching them to the forum, they will appear as pictures in your posts and we won't have to download them to view them.

I found the startup session and deleted it... but nothing happened. Except that message about the mobile notes. And yes, the ESVS is my default text.

And regarding the screenshots... I have them saved on my desktop as jpeg pics... how do I convert them to pngs? Thanks for the tip though... that's horrible having to click on every one... sorry about that.

I think the next step would be to figure out which preferences file contains the default search text settings and temporarily move that file to the desktop, then try restarting. But I don't know which file it is. You could try moving the entire preferences folder to the desktop temporarily and see if that helps, but you will lose all your custom settings, at least until you move it back.

If Accordance staff don't chime in here soon, I would call tech support at this point.

I believe you can use Preview to save various graphics formats as png. I use a third-party app called Imagewell that I think is no longer available. jpgs might show up ok, too, but tiff's require downloading them first to see them.

D C.,

The modules are there, the path to them has been compromised. Removing and replacing should take care of it. While in Accordance, go to the top menu and under Window, select Library Window or click on the Library icon in the toolbar. In here, go to those modules. Select them (single-click) and then remove them (Command-Delete)..

Now that they are not in the Library window,

Go to the bottom of the Library Window and you will see 3 icons across the bottom, Click the first one (+) and select 'Add New Modules".

Navigate to the appropriate Text or Tool and double click on the missing module. This will put it back into your Library Window, ready for use

If you cannot bring it in from this, go to the Accordance menu and select Easy Install once again. Because they have been removed from the Library Window, Easy Install will offer to download them thus, correcting the broken path.

They will re-appear in your Library Window at the bottom of its category.

If you still continue to have difficulty, please call support 407 339-0266

All the items you suggested were greyed out... however I managed to go to file and open a new text. Once I did that I was able to follow your interactions for deleting the missing texts. I then readied the texts but it only worked for 2 of them, not the ESVS. I then went back to easy install and installed the esvs from my Starter package and then it worked! so thanks so much... now I can start my morning!

Update: About 15 minutes later, when I triple clicked on a word to bring up the dictionary, I got a message (Memory error # -116 "OTChange handle"!) I've never seen before and I couldn't dismiss it... I eventually had to force quit accordance and reopen it. is there a connection here... or a pattern that's developing or is this a 'normal' message?

post-31126-0-14167200-1401947169_thumb.png

Edited by D. C. Foster

Well, the plot thickens... I just purchased the new ISBE Revised and was so excited when it was finally finished downloading. I clicked install but then a couple of minutes in a box popped up (see picture below) with an error message that I've never seen before. I closed the box and then went into the library like I had done with the ESVS to try to add a new module... it found the ISBE Revised.atool but when I clicked open it said that the location had been moved since Accordance last opened... so I'm stuck... I don't know what to do. I know it's in there but I can't access it... so I'm thinking of downloading it again but I'm not sure if that will solve the problem...

post-31126-0-01665800-1401951132_thumb.png

PS- When I closed Accordance and reopened it it opened up not to my default screen (which is my last saved session) but to a generic ESVS workspace???

Edited by D. C. Foster

I took a look at DCs's Mac, and we copied the Accordance folder from the location in HD/Library/Application Support (an older default installlocation for version 9) to the now preferred location in ~/Library/Application Support. (The user library is invisible in Lion and up, but you access it by pressing option as you open the Go menu, and then I always recommend making an alias of it which stays visible.) Mavericks definitely prefers the new location, and the copy clears up any issues with wrong preferences on the files which often prevent a clean update of modules. We then deleted the original folder and things seem to be running more smoothly. His Revised ISBE was a tiny file, clearly an incomplete download, so we deleted that.