Preference to not display smooth breathing marks on Greek text

Enoch

The only function of the smooth breathing is to confuse someone with the rough breathing.
So far as I know, no ancient Greek texts or ancient Greek mss have them anyway.
Thus I would like a preferences option to eliminate all smooth breathings from Greek texts.

"to not display," oh dear; I split an infinitive!

Edited by Enoch

Definitely agree. This is how I learned Greek, it would be a real aid to reading and understanding.

Not sure if I understand the request—if it's reading according to the orthographical and diacritical marks of ancient Mss, then the logic seems to say that you should be reading the Great Uncials and Papyri, no? In which case, just use GNT-ALEX or VAT, or BEZ.

Edited by James Tucker

The request is simple:

Accordance will have a preference to mark which causes no smooth breathings will appear.

The rationale is that

1) the smooth breathing has only the negative purpose of confusing someone with a rough breathing mark,

2) the smooth breathing is not a feature of the ancient manuscripts, so one is not altering a jot or a tittle of God's word by eliminating them.

The logic does not say that one should read the uncials & papyri only. The request is not to dispense with all modern editing. Word spacing and rough breathings are helpful editing. The only modern editing to be eliminated (& that only for those who want to eliminate it) is the smooth breathings.

Edited by Enoch